Jun 21, 2013, 11:44 PM EST
Adrian Heath, manager of Orlando City SC, said Wednesday that if his club get their way in the coming years, it may mean they could bring Kaka to the United States.
The Brazilian attended a training session Friday, and many believe that Orlando’s bid to join Major League Soccer in 2015 specifically coincides with the expiration of Kaka’s Real Madrid contract in 2015.
“If we reach the MLS in 2015, Kaka will most likely play with us. I believe it is very possible to get him here,” Heath told TV network WFTV 9.
“You don’t have to be Einstein to work out that his contract ends right around the same time we expect to be in the MLS. It would be unbelievable for our club. If Kaka is playing in the American league, it means we will have been accepted.”
The 31-year-old striker has a roundabout and yet strong tie to OCSC.
The agency that represents Kaka, Octagon Sports, is led by Alexandre Leitao. Leitao is the advisor to Brazilian entrepreneur Flavio Augusto da Silva, who bought a stake in Orlando City and has an agreement to become a primary owner if the club were accepted into MLS.
Still required for the club to get MLS approval is a stadium downtown. The Lions hired former special assistant to the MLS commissioner Brett Lashbrook a few weeks ago and that turned a few heads, but a lot of work is left to be done.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"