Jun 21, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Former Manchester United and Real Madrid superstar Ruud van Nistelrooy is set to join Eredivisie side PSV Eindhoven for a coaching internship in an effort to complete his coaching badges, according to Dutch paper Voetbal International.
Van Nistelrooy scored 275 goals across his prolific 16-year playing career and is now looking to finish coaching training and make his way into the coaching ranks.
He will join up with PSV strikers coach Twan Scheepers to gain experience.
The 36-year-old blasted onto the scene with PSV, playing there for three years from 1998-2001, scoring 31 goals in 38 matches before his €28 million transfer to Manchester United.
The young strike team of Dries Mertens, Luciano Narsingh, Tim Matavz, and Jurgen Locadia currently at Philips Stadion are all 26 years old or younger, and could benefit immensely from one of the Netherlands’ most successful goal scorers giving them advice.
Scheepers himself has just extended his coaching contract at PSV for another three years.
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0
- Liverpool, Barca target could become youngest capped in Norway history 2
- Americans Abroad Wrap: US teenagers go distance for Fulham, Utrecht 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Celebrating the Premier League’s return (and a Mickey Rourke encounter) 3