Jun 21, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Former Manchester United and Real Madrid superstar Ruud van Nistelrooy is set to join Eredivisie side PSV Eindhoven for a coaching internship in an effort to complete his coaching badges, according to Dutch paper Voetbal International.
Van Nistelrooy scored 275 goals across his prolific 16-year playing career and is now looking to finish coaching training and make his way into the coaching ranks.
He will join up with PSV strikers coach Twan Scheepers to gain experience.
The 36-year-old blasted onto the scene with PSV, playing there for three years from 1998-2001, scoring 31 goals in 38 matches before his €28 million transfer to Manchester United.
The young strike team of Dries Mertens, Luciano Narsingh, Tim Matavz, and Jurgen Locadia currently at Philips Stadion are all 26 years old or younger, and could benefit immensely from one of the Netherlands’ most successful goal scorers giving them advice.
Scheepers himself has just extended his coaching contract at PSV for another three years.
- NBC to air all 10 Premier League games on final day in “Championship Sunday” extravaganza 2
- Minnesota Vikings “stepping up” bid for MLS franchise 5
- Manchester City the best paid team in sport, beat New York Yankees to accolade 3
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 6 0
- ProSoccerTalk MLS Team of the Week – Week 6 0
- Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal can finish in the top four 5