Jun 21, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Former Manchester United and Real Madrid superstar Ruud van Nistelrooy is set to join Eredivisie side PSV Eindhoven for a coaching internship in an effort to complete his coaching badges, according to Dutch paper Voetbal International.
Van Nistelrooy scored 275 goals across his prolific 16-year playing career and is now looking to finish coaching training and make his way into the coaching ranks.
He will join up with PSV strikers coach Twan Scheepers to gain experience.
The 36-year-old blasted onto the scene with PSV, playing there for three years from 1998-2001, scoring 31 goals in 38 matches before his €28 million transfer to Manchester United.
The young strike team of Dries Mertens, Luciano Narsingh, Tim Matavz, and Jurgen Locadia currently at Philips Stadion are all 26 years old or younger, and could benefit immensely from one of the Netherlands’ most successful goal scorers giving them advice.
Scheepers himself has just extended his coaching contract at PSV for another three years.
- USA vs. Guatemala preview: USMNT’s final tune-up before 2015 Gold Cup 0
- 2015 Gold Cup – Group A preview: USMNT favorites over Honduras, Panama, Haiti 0
- Clint Dempsey replaced by Michael Bradley as USMNT captain for Gold Cup 5
- Despite devastating World Cup exit, England’s women inspired a nation 8
- US ask Switzerland to extradite seven FIFA officials 0
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 10