Jun 22, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
Two weeks ago I told you the Fire’s season looked promising going forward, and they didn’t disappoint.
After Columbus took the lead through a Federico Higuain penalty, Dilly Duka and Mike McGee quickfired consecutive scores in the second half to complete a shocking comeback as Chicago stunned the Crew 2-1.
The win gives the Fire 12 points in their last 5 fixtures, and completely muddies the waters in the Eastern Conference.
With all three points, Chicago is now just four points back of fifth position, and two behind Columbus in sixth.
The turnaround exactly coincides with Mike Magee’s debut with the Fire, having come over in exchange for the rights to Robby Rogers. The winger now has 9 goals in 13 MLS matches this season, and he’s got a goal in all 4 matches with the Fire since the transfer – 3 wins and a draw. Saturday night’s – a header into the top corner on a cross from Lindpere – is also Magee’s 6th goal in his last 6 matches between both clubs.
Also instrumental in Chicago’s turnaround is Bakary Soumare, the Malian central defender who joined in May from Philadelphia and made an immediate impact.
Since joining the squad, Soumare has been instrumental at the back. The fire have given up just 4 goals in 4 matches since Soumare’s return, picking up points in each one. In fact, in the two matches for Philadelphia against Chicago prior to his transfer, Soumare and the Union held the Fire to a goose egg on both occasions.
The Fire, with their new found form, have two massive opportunities coming up. They have a wonderful chance for points against San Jose at home, and Sporting KC at home in a match with major playoff implications.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3