Jun 22, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Brendan Rodgers has deemed that midfielders Jonjo Shelvey and Jay Spearing are extra weight at Anfield and will look to move them, according to a report in the Mirror.
Shelvey, a member of the England U-21 squad that crashed and burned at the Euros this season, was linked with Stoke in the past while Tony Pulis was in charge, and apparently can leave for a bid of £7 million ($10.8 million).
The 21-year-old attacking midfielder made 19 appearances in the Premier League last season (9 starts) but could only muster a single goal and did not record an assist. Rodgers tested Shelvey at a pure attacking midfielder as well as a central midfielder and out on the left wing.
Spearing spent the last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers in the Championship, impressing with two goals and six assists from the defensive midfield. The 24-year-old can apparently leave for £3 million ($4.6 million).
He made a whopping 36 starts in the English second division, and picking up a ton of playing time as Bolton finished 7th, fighting for a playoff spot but fading down the stretch.
- Transfer needs – Manchester United, Newcastle, QPR, Southampton, Stoke 0
- Preview: Possible “Groups of Death” galore in UEFA Champions League draw 1
- Wayne Rooney named new England captain as youthful squad selected 1
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 0
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0