Jun 24, 2013, 3:13 PM EST
Javan Torre isn’t having the best of times in Turkey, where Tab Ramos’ United States team remains alive after its gutsy 1-1 draw Monday with fanciful France.
The U.S. center back did improve over a sloppy performance in team’s tournament opener last week against Spain, but he conceded the foul that became a gift PK for France.
All the while, FC Dallas fans are saying, only partially sarcastically, “Thanks, Tab Ramos.”
The U.S. center back spot was always an area of concern ahead of the Turkey tournament. So, leaving the FC Dallas rookie off his roster became something of a flashpoint. It became more of one when Zimmerman entered for FC Dallas at halftime Saturday as Sporting Kansas City played in Texas.
Coming in for the injured Matt Hedges, Zimmerman had a couple of initial wobbles, not appearing to gain the speed and intensity of the match (Sporting KC has a lot of both, speed and intensity) but settling in from there.
And when Zimmerman burst forward to score the late equalizer, Ramos’ choice to leave the promising 20-year-old behind gained momentum as an MLS and U.S. under-20 talker.
Here is Zimmerman’s late, game-tying goal in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at FC Dallas Stadium:
(By the way, Zimmerman was the 1000th man to score in MLS, according to the league office. Ain’t that a kick in the head? A rookie center back … one getting his first league goal, no less! What are the odds?)
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014