Jun 24, 2013, 3:13 PM EST
Javan Torre isn’t having the best of times in Turkey, where Tab Ramos’ United States team remains alive after its gutsy 1-1 draw Monday with fanciful France.
The U.S. center back did improve over a sloppy performance in team’s tournament opener last week against Spain, but he conceded the foul that became a gift PK for France.
All the while, FC Dallas fans are saying, only partially sarcastically, “Thanks, Tab Ramos.”
The U.S. center back spot was always an area of concern ahead of the Turkey tournament. So, leaving the FC Dallas rookie off his roster became something of a flashpoint. It became more of one when Zimmerman entered for FC Dallas at halftime Saturday as Sporting Kansas City played in Texas.
Coming in for the injured Matt Hedges, Zimmerman had a couple of initial wobbles, not appearing to gain the speed and intensity of the match (Sporting KC has a lot of both, speed and intensity) but settling in from there.
And when Zimmerman burst forward to score the late equalizer, Ramos’ choice to leave the promising 20-year-old behind gained momentum as an MLS and U.S. under-20 talker.
Here is Zimmerman’s late, game-tying goal in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at FC Dallas Stadium:
(By the way, Zimmerman was the 1000th man to score in MLS, according to the league office. Ain’t that a kick in the head? A rookie center back … one getting his first league goal, no less! What are the odds?)
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season