Jun 25, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 17 rounds of play:
19. Chivas USA – The Goats will now be without Eric Avila, who is moving to Chivas’ mother ship team in Liga MX. Oh, and they fell in the latest L.A. derby late on Sunday night.
18. D.C. United – United won. That’s not a mis-print. The hard-fought 1-0 win over San Jose snapped United’s 13-game winless streak, which stretched back to early March.
17. Toronto FC – Signs of life? Ryan Nelsen’s team has a win and two draws (including a pretty good weekend result, a 0-0 tie Saturday in Houston) in June.
16. San Jose Earthquakes – After two on the road to begin his stretch as interim manager (a win in Colorado and loss over the weekend at D.C. United), Mark Watson finally gets a game at home. The ‘Quakes face California rival LA Galaxy this week.
15. Columbus – The reality of life without two important pieces began to set it as Chicago took all three points out of Crew Stadium over the weekend. Robert Warzycha’s team is 2-3-3 at home with an unlovely plus-1 goal difference.
14. Colorado Rapids – After getting it together in May, the team has lost three in a row and has a very tough trip in Montreal up next.
13. Chicago Fire – Mike Magee’s arrival has been absolutely sensational; he has a goal in each of his first six matches, including four in league play and two in the U.S. Open Cup. The upswing in offense is helping ease the sting of Arne Friedrich’s retirement.
12. Vancouver Whitecaps – Martin Rennie gave his players four days off over an idle weekend. It was back to training on Monday, prepping for cross-continent travel and a visit to D.C. United.
11. New England Revolution – Maybe a weekend off was unfortunate timing, allowing the Revs to stew about that awful response late in the first half last week in Vancouver. Either way, time to bounce back, for a U.S. Open Cup opportunity is up Wednesday at D.C. United.
10. LA Galaxy – Bruce Arena is lamenting the loss of personnel ahead to the Gold Cup. Well, join the club. Lots of teams have been dealing with this stuff. His team snapped a three-game winless streak with Sunday’s 1-0 win over woeful Chivas USA.
9. New York Red Bulls – The internet is abuzz with rumors of Juninho’s retirement. Meanwhile, and Tim Cahill (pictured) should be back in the squad soon – all of which is partially obscuring the fact that Mike Petke’s team has lost three in a row and has not win in league play since May 19.
8. Houston Dynamo – Where has all the scoring gone for Dominic Kinnear’s team, which now has two goals in its last six league matches. Brad Davis’ return from U.S. duty will presumably help, although it didn’t in a scoreless draw in Houston against Toronto.
7. Philadelphia Union – Jack McInerney is suddenly snakebit, missing just wide or seeing a keeper make really swell saves off his shot. No matter. He’s still tied for top in league scoring with 10 goals. The Union took down New York (And how!) by a 3-0 score Sunday.
6. Seattle Sounders – How very different this team is when Osvaldo Alondo is not around to screen the back line. The visitors were scarcely competitive in a 2-0 weekend loss at Real Salt Lake.
5. Sporting Kansas City – C.J. Sapong really hurt his team with a silly, petulant little kick of the ball. Up 2-0 on the road at the time, his reduced team wilted in the Texas heat and eventually conceded two late goals to Dallas.
4. Real Salt Lake – The league’s hottest team (yes, perhaps even more than Portland considering all the Timbers’ ties) is 8-1-1 in all competitions since April. That includes the dominant 2-0 weekend win over Seattle.
3. FC Dallas – Blas Perez and Ramon Nunez came in to change the game as Dallas rallied for two goals and drew level with 10-man Sporting Kansas City. The team hosts Portland on Wednesday in a U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal.
2. Montreal Impact – Patrice Bernier, who is still underappreciated, had a wonderful assist in a 2-0 win over Houston.
1. Portland Timbers – The team, now unbeaten in 15 games, climbed a little closer to a league record. Two results in Round 17 got the Timbers a little closer, a scoreless draw in Los Angeles and then a commanding 3-0 win over Colorado at home.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Jose Carlos Rivero was charged with two felonies earlier this month but continued to work games for the MLS.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls made a young girl’s dream come true as she signed a one-day contract with her favorite team.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Watch the Black Cats host the Gunners at 9:45 a.m. ET online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UEFA handed Serbia a 3-0 win but deducted points after their match against Albania was called off due to violence.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Watch as Leicester City travels to Liberty Stadium tomorrow live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Pogba broke through with 9 goals and 10 assists across all competitions for Juventus last season and a goal and assist at the World Cup.
A coach tells a fan tells a ticket rep… How soccer fans and the Red Bulls created this adorable goal video
Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
It’s a little dusty in here. Godspeed, Irelyn. May a cure be found in short order!
Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s going to be ugly and we’re going to shake our heads. Some will feign shock. And the whole cycle will repeat itself again at Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
The purpose of the show is for the Robbies to hear from the fans on this call-in show, so dial 855-323-4622 and have your say.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
El Clasico is upon us, and my goodness will it be a doozy between Real Madrid and Barcelona on Saturday at the Bernabeu.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
French police had arrested a man for selling drugs, according to the BBC, and that earned the ire of already on-edge Everton supporters.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:44 AM EDT
The European Club Association includes at least one club from every nation in UEFA and includes Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
Previewing the last weekend of full-tilt MLS competition.
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 0
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0