Jun 26, 2013, 8:47 AM EST
Carlo Ancelotti has only been in charge at Real Madrid for one day… but big things are already starting to happen.
Today reports in the Spanish media state that Cristiano Ronaldo is set to meet Manchester United, as the Portuguese superstar seeks a return to Old Trafford.
Talk of Ronaldo returning to the Red Devils had diminished in recent weeks, however the 28-year-old attacker will now be the subject of intense transfer speculation as his future at Real seems more uncertain.
And with new United manager David Moyes remaining tight-lipped since taking over the hot-seat from Sir Alex Ferguson, you can’t help but wonder what’s going on behind the scenes in Manchester.
However, the English champions will have to fork out around $100 million to pay for Portugal’s captain and spend over $20 million a year on his wages, with bonuses.
That is an astronomical amount of cash for a player that is out of contract in 18-months time. Many believe that Ronaldo should wait until his contract at Madrid runs out before making his next move. However with Ancelotti arriving and a new dawn approaching at the Bernabeu, maybe now would be a good time for Cristiano to assess his options.
Manchester United are about the only side Ronaldo would leave Real Madrid for, with his affection for the club clear for all to see. With Sir Alex steeping down but still involved behind the scenes at United, that could persuade Ronaldo into making the switch back to the Premier League.
As I write this, images of Ronaldo linking up with former Real boss José Mourinho at Chelsea flash through my mind and I just can’t see that happening. Also it would be unthinkable for Ronaldo to join Manchester City, such is his affection for the Manchester United ethos and the way they nurtured his talent throughout his formative years.
This “meeting” is obviously illegal under Fifa rules but it is going to happen anyway. Either way, if Ronaldo does express an interest in returning to play for Manchester United then the Premier League champions should pull out all the stops to get him back.
201 goals in 199 games since joining Real Madrid…. Yeah, your job in Spain is done Cristiano. Surely it is time to return “home” to Old Trafford…
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research shows less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 0
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park