Jun 27, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Jurgen Klinsmann didn’t cause too many surprises as he named his 23-man squad for this summer’s Gold Cup being held in the United States.
With plenty of Klinsmann’s regular starters out of the picture the USMNT head coach has called upon fringe players, as expected, using this competition to give others a chance to shine.
Players from Major League Soccer feature heavily, with 10 players from the USA’s domestic league making the squad. However Klinsmann did have a deal with Major League Soccer teams that he wouldn’t call players up for both the World Cup qualifiers and Gold Cup.
But the US head coach is allowed to add four more players to his roster after the Gold Cup group stages.
The most notable name included is LA Galaxy forward Landon Donovan, who will pull on the USMNT jersey for the first-time in almost a year, with his last appearance for the Yanks coming in the historic 1-0 friendly win over Mexico at the Azteca on August 15, 2012.
Donovan, 31, is the national team’s active caps leader with 144, while he is also the all-time team record goalscorer (49) and leader in assists (48). His inclusion back in the US national team will please many, including the man himself who has been itching for a Nats call-up since returning from a self-imposed sabbatical during the 2013 off season.
While elsewhere Philadelphia Union striker Jack McInerney receives his first full call-up. McInerney currently leads MLS in scoring with 10 goals so far this campaign. Will Bruin will get another shot up front and Stuart Holden could play a pivotal role in midfield as he continues his long comeback from injury.
And Rosenborg midfielder Mix Diskerud should now chose the U.S. over Norway as he will be cap-tied when appearing for the full national team, with other European-based midfielders Josh Gatt and Alejandro Bedoya were called upon.
Veterans Kyle Beckerman, DaMarcus Beasley, Nick Rimando and Herculez Gomez also get the nod, with a good mixture of youth and experience selected by Klinsi.
There are some notable exclusions from the squad, with 34-year-old defender and former captain Carlos Bocanegra surprisingly left out. Could this be the end for Bocanegra’s international career?
The 2013 Gold Cup will run from July 6-28 in 13 U.S. cities. The winner will face the 2015 champion in a playoff for a spot at the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup.
You can watch the US national team prepare for the Gold Cup with a friendly against Guatemala on July 5, (11pm ET) live on NBC Sports Network. Below is Jurgen Klinsmann’s 23-man squad for the Gold Cup:
FORWARDS (5) : Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Club Tijuana), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers