Jun 27, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
It seems his impressive performances for the USMNT recently has benefited more than just his standing with Jurgen Klinsmann.
According to Brian Sciaretta of the New York Times, Sporting KC will reward Graham Zusi with a new multiyear contract
His current contract runs out in December, although the club had options for the next two seasons.
It remains to be seen how long the extension is for, but with Sporting having already locked down Matt Besler, it’s another major step for the MLS club in keeping their top talent.
It also still isn’t clear if Sporting have made Zusi their second Designated Player alongside Claudio Bieler, but we should find out soon as he deal is just waiting for league approval according to Sciaretta.
Zusi’s contributions to Sporting KC have been intensified recently. With his departure for the USMNT World Cup qualifiers, KC picked up just two league points from three matches and got knocked out of the U.S. Open Cup by lower-division Orlando City FC.
UPDATE: The move was confirmed by Sporting KC’s CEO Robb Heineman via Twitter
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 0
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0
- Open Cup final preview: Is a championship coming to Philly tonight? 0
- Arsenal’s defending depth fears could be on display against Dortmund 4