Jun 27, 2013, 9:14 PM EST
It seems his impressive performances for the USMNT recently has benefited more than just his standing with Jurgen Klinsmann.
According to Brian Sciaretta of the New York Times, Sporting KC will reward Graham Zusi with a new multiyear contract
His current contract runs out in December, although the club had options for the next two seasons.
It remains to be seen how long the extension is for, but with Sporting having already locked down Matt Besler, it’s another major step for the MLS club in keeping their top talent.
It also still isn’t clear if Sporting have made Zusi their second Designated Player alongside Claudio Bieler, but we should find out soon as he deal is just waiting for league approval according to Sciaretta.
Zusi’s contributions to Sporting KC have been intensified recently. With his departure for the USMNT World Cup qualifiers, KC picked up just two league points from three matches and got knocked out of the U.S. Open Cup by lower-division Orlando City FC.
UPDATE: The move was confirmed by Sporting KC’s CEO Robb Heineman via Twitter
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 1
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0
- Southampton 1-0 Crystal Palace: Mane’s late goal gets Saints back on track (video) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league at impasse as situation looks dire 8