Jun 27, 2013, 9:14 PM EST
It seems his impressive performances for the USMNT recently has benefited more than just his standing with Jurgen Klinsmann.
According to Brian Sciaretta of the New York Times, Sporting KC will reward Graham Zusi with a new multiyear contract
His current contract runs out in December, although the club had options for the next two seasons.
It remains to be seen how long the extension is for, but with Sporting having already locked down Matt Besler, it’s another major step for the MLS club in keeping their top talent.
It also still isn’t clear if Sporting have made Zusi their second Designated Player alongside Claudio Bieler, but we should find out soon as he deal is just waiting for league approval according to Sciaretta.
Zusi’s contributions to Sporting KC have been intensified recently. With his departure for the USMNT World Cup qualifiers, KC picked up just two league points from three matches and got knocked out of the U.S. Open Cup by lower-division Orlando City FC.
UPDATE: The move was confirmed by Sporting KC’s CEO Robb Heineman via Twitter
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 1
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 3
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- WATCH: Stoke City fans erupt into “Delilah” chant during win over Arsenal 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire