Jun 27, 2013, 7:22 PM EST
After David Moyes was appointed manager at Manchester United, it was almost a foregone conclusion that dangerous and valuable left back Leighton Baines would follow.
Patrice Evra is now 32 years old, and while he still plays at a high level, United would have the chance to cement the position for the foreseeable future as well as cash in on Evra before he runs out of value.
Now, it seems like Baines is more likely to remain at Everton and become a leader at Goodison Park.
In what would absolutely be considered a coup for Roberto Martinez, the 28-year-old English international stated his excitement to start anew under Everton’s new manager.
“He was one of the first names linked with the job and the feeling straight away was he would be a great appointment,” said Baines. “He has a different style to what we have been used to but I think it is progressive and it will move us forward.”
Following Baines’ comments about Martinez – comments that certainly would have been held back had negotiations been ongoing – it was widely reported by many news outlets that Manchester United had a £12 million ($18.5 million) bid rejected by Everton for the defender.
This proves the Toffees are willing to fight for arguably their roster’s best player, and will mean unless Moyes decides his former playmaker is worth a bid well above market value – one Everton couldn’t refuse – then for now Goodison Park will greatly benefit from Baines’ presence.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park