Jun 27, 2013, 10:27 PM EST
So it seems Ghana will continue to be a major thorn in the side for the United States soccer squads.
Having knocked the U.S. out of consecutive senior World Cups, the U-20 team was also eliminated on a 4-1 shellacking from the Ghanians.
The result cemented the U.S. into last place in their group, having been outscored 9-3 overall.
The United States needed a win to advance, and having fallen down 2-0 by the 60th minute, Shane O’Neill’s header brought the U.S. back within striking distance, but they crumbled late as Ghana scored twice in the final 12 minutes.
Seattle Sounders right-back DeAndre Yedlin, one of the brighter spots for the U.S. throughout the group stage, was forced off at halftime due to a shoulder injury.
It was always going to be tough for the U.S. to advance with Spain, France, and Ghana in their group, but such is the nature of the World Cup and coach Tab Ramos will rue finishing dead last with just one point.
“I’m disappointed with the result, certainly” said Ramos after the match. “I’m disappointed that we gave up nine goals in three games – you certainly can’t move on in a World Cup giving up nine goals in three games.”
The coach also mentioned a lack of timely decision-making and a timidness in front of goal as two key things the squad must work on.
Result or not, it will be fantastic experience for the kids to get matches in against such high-class opponents, and they certainly will be better off because of it.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park