Jun 27, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
So it seems Ghana will continue to be a major thorn in the side for the United States soccer squads.
Having knocked the U.S. out of consecutive senior World Cups, the U-20 team was also eliminated on a 4-1 shellacking from the Ghanians.
The result cemented the U.S. into last place in their group, having been outscored 9-3 overall.
The United States needed a win to advance, and having fallen down 2-0 by the 60th minute, Shane O’Neill’s header brought the U.S. back within striking distance, but they crumbled late as Ghana scored twice in the final 12 minutes.
Seattle Sounders right-back DeAndre Yedlin, one of the brighter spots for the U.S. throughout the group stage, was forced off at halftime due to a shoulder injury.
It was always going to be tough for the U.S. to advance with Spain, France, and Ghana in their group, but such is the nature of the World Cup and coach Tab Ramos will rue finishing dead last with just one point.
“I’m disappointed with the result, certainly” said Ramos after the match. “I’m disappointed that we gave up nine goals in three games – you certainly can’t move on in a World Cup giving up nine goals in three games.”
The coach also mentioned a lack of timely decision-making and a timidness in front of goal as two key things the squad must work on.
Result or not, it will be fantastic experience for the kids to get matches in against such high-class opponents, and they certainly will be better off because of it.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes