Jun 28, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
Roma president James Pallotta happens to be from Boston, and is an avid basketball fan. When asked about the transfer status of his squad, he said anyone and everyone is on the table.
“Daniele De Rossi to stay? We’ll see. All players are on the market, it’s the same for my Celtics” the American said in an interview with RAI Sport.
While I don’t think the Roma president – who happens to be a Celtics co-owner – will be pushing the firesale button on his soccer team like they did in the NBA, the point is clear:
Nobody is untouchable.
That sentiment obviously includes U.S. international Michael Bradley, who has locked down a starting spot in Roma’s midfield since his move from Chievo one year ago. The 25-year-old has found great success in Italy as a holding midfielder, as his physical playing style and tireless engine have translated perfectly into the Italian game.
For that reason, he could be a perfect target for an aging midfield, such as that of AC Milan – I don’t think there would be many who doubt he could give the current midfielders there a good run for their spot. However, I don’t think Roma will be looking to sell one of their more prized possessions that easily.
Despite the statement of blanket availability, Pallotta then did backtrack a touch, saying his captain Francesco Totti would be difficult to part with.
“Francesco Totti will always be a part of Roma and we want him to stay. He will certainly play for one or two more years, we’ve got to understand the situation along with him. I don’t know if he wants to play until he’s 40. He may well do, but if he gets to 40 then he’ll ask me if he can continue until he’s 50!”
- US ask Switzerland to extradite seven FIFA officials 0
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 6
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10