Jun 29, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
It’s possible that with Arsene Wenger relatively quiet in the last few years transfer-wise, he may have forgotten a bit of etiquette.
The Arsenal manager has ruffled a few feathers in his home country of France after a bid for Lyon attacking midfielder Clement Grenier was so low it was deemed “disrespectful” by Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas.
According to French paper Le Parisien (the hard copy, story hasn’t appeared online as of yet), Wenger bid £6 million ($9.1 million), about one-third of what Aulas has valued the 22-year-old at.
Grenier has just one year left on his deal, and has already stated Arsenal are in the mix. He stated he will not renew with Lyon, so they would be wise to cash in for him now. Instead however, the report states Aulas has been steadfast in his belief that Grenier will be returning to Stade de Gerland.
The kid rose to the club’s challenge in the final few weeks, and guided Lyon through a tough patch and into the third and final Ligue 1 qualifying spot for the Champions League. His free kicks are Juninho-esque, and a calculated risk-taker when it comes to passing. Oddly enough, Grenier would have made a switch to Nice last summer had Yoann Gourcuff not blown out his knee in the beginning of the season.
Arsenal apparently also submitted a bid for fellow Lyon player Maxime Gonalons, but that too was turned down.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England