Jun 29, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
It’s possible that with Arsene Wenger relatively quiet in the last few years transfer-wise, he may have forgotten a bit of etiquette.
The Arsenal manager has ruffled a few feathers in his home country of France after a bid for Lyon attacking midfielder Clement Grenier was so low it was deemed “disrespectful” by Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas.
According to French paper Le Parisien (the hard copy, story hasn’t appeared online as of yet), Wenger bid £6 million ($9.1 million), about one-third of what Aulas has valued the 22-year-old at.
Grenier has just one year left on his deal, and has already stated Arsenal are in the mix. He stated he will not renew with Lyon, so they would be wise to cash in for him now. Instead however, the report states Aulas has been steadfast in his belief that Grenier will be returning to Stade de Gerland.
The kid rose to the club’s challenge in the final few weeks, and guided Lyon through a tough patch and into the third and final Ligue 1 qualifying spot for the Champions League. His free kicks are Juninho-esque, and a calculated risk-taker when it comes to passing. Oddly enough, Grenier would have made a switch to Nice last summer had Yoann Gourcuff not blown out his knee in the beginning of the season.
Arsenal apparently also submitted a bid for fellow Lyon player Maxime Gonalons, but that too was turned down.
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes