Jun 29, 2013, 8:36 PM EST
It’s possible that with Arsene Wenger relatively quiet in the last few years transfer-wise, he may have forgotten a bit of etiquette.
The Arsenal manager has ruffled a few feathers in his home country of France after a bid for Lyon attacking midfielder Clement Grenier was so low it was deemed “disrespectful” by Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas.
According to French paper Le Parisien (the hard copy, story hasn’t appeared online as of yet), Wenger bid £6 million ($9.1 million), about one-third of what Aulas has valued the 22-year-old at.
Grenier has just one year left on his deal, and has already stated Arsenal are in the mix. He stated he will not renew with Lyon, so they would be wise to cash in for him now. Instead however, the report states Aulas has been steadfast in his belief that Grenier will be returning to Stade de Gerland.
The kid rose to the club’s challenge in the final few weeks, and guided Lyon through a tough patch and into the third and final Ligue 1 qualifying spot for the Champions League. His free kicks are Juninho-esque, and a calculated risk-taker when it comes to passing. Oddly enough, Grenier would have made a switch to Nice last summer had Yoann Gourcuff not blown out his knee in the beginning of the season.
Arsenal apparently also submitted a bid for fellow Lyon player Maxime Gonalons, but that too was turned down.
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 3
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014