Ben Olsen blows up postmatch after penalty costs DC United

Jun 29, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT

Philadelphia Union v DC United - Disney Pro Soccer Classic Getty Images

As Ben Olsen admitted, “nobody wants to hear the coach in last place complain about the referees.”

Nevertheless, we hear it tonight.

The DC United manager was absolutely livid in his postmatch presser following a 1-0 loss to Vancouver at home.

In a rant that sounded like a release of months worth of restraint, Olsen said his squad was “gutted” following the penalty given to Vancouver for Bill Hamid’s apparent foul on Matt Watson. Hamid at first got both hands on the ball to knock it away, and then tripped Watson on the follow-through.

According to Olsen, he asked everything from his squad in his seventh match of the month, and the “joker in the middle” – that would be referee Matthew Foerster – “failed those guys.”

Olsen praised Hamid’s play, and then pointed to a non-call in stoppage time where a handball in the Vancouver box was not given as a penalty.

Following his rant, Olsen was asked if he received an explanation from the referee, which he laughed off before saying “they don’t have to explain.  I do.  I have to explain to my owners why I lost another game.”

If you want to hear the full postmatch rant, you can click here.  WARNING hide your kids before clicking, it’s not exactly kosher language.

Interestingly enough, former U.S. international and current ESPN soccer commentator Alexi Lalas defended the penalty call, saying he thinks Hamid still fouled Watson whether he got the ball or not:

1. jrocknstuff - Jun 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I’ve long contended the MLS refs are among the worst in the world, if not the worst in the world. Between this match and the Dallas/Philly match today they just seem to be getting worse and worse. In DC, Hamid’s play was clean. He got all ball and hit the player in his follow through. That isn’t a penalty. In Philadelphia, to send Watson off on a simulation call is miserable. Then to miss Perez’s goal in stoppage time is even worse. These refs wouldn’t last a day in England.

• mikeevergreen - Jun 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I agree. And Lex Lalas is full of it, “he got the ball first” worked quite well on Colorado’s game-winner in Montreal.

2. sabanissatan - Jun 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Alexi Lalas, what a joke

3. term3186 - Jun 30, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Don’t like Lalas, but he’s absolutely correct. Hamid completely took out the attacking player after getting the barest of touches on the ball with his fingertips. Its not like the attacker deliberately made contact with Hamid and went down; he got utterly cleaned out. Definitely a penalty.

4. tackledummy1505 - Jun 30, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I would like to know when did the rules change in soccer when it is okay to body check or pull the goalie down? I remember when I played and if I interfered with the goalie’s ability to field a ball that it was an automatic foul on my part. Now I’m not saying I couldn’t touch the goalie nor if I had position that I had to move out of the goalie’s way, but how many times in MLS games do you see players sliding into goalies, body checking them or even pulling them down (like in today’s Philadelphia Union/Dallas FC match in the 97th minute) and there’s no call or card. Last year especially the Union had both of their goalies go down on serious injuries with MacMath getting a serious concussion and then the backup with a serious ankle injury all in the same game cause they were getting bombarded with slide tackles and body checks when they either had position or already had control of the ball. The MLS has to do something about this or soft fouls won’t be the only thing they have to worry about. They should take a page out of the NFL’s problems the have now with lawsuits they have because of violent hits that were allowed. The MLS definitely doesn’t have the room to argue since concussions are a well known injury now

5. talgrath - Jun 30, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Olsen is absolutely right, but MLS will fine him nonetheless because he demeaned the referees, even if they absolutely deserved it. MLS isn’t some third tier league anymore, surely we can get better refs than this!

Official: Welbeck signs for Arsenal