Jun 29, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
As Ben Olsen admitted, “nobody wants to hear the coach in last place complain about the referees.”
Nevertheless, we hear it tonight.
The DC United manager was absolutely livid in his postmatch presser following a 1-0 loss to Vancouver at home.
In a rant that sounded like a release of months worth of restraint, Olsen said his squad was “gutted” following the penalty given to Vancouver for Bill Hamid’s apparent foul on Matt Watson. Hamid at first got both hands on the ball to knock it away, and then tripped Watson on the follow-through.
According to Olsen, he asked everything from his squad in his seventh match of the month, and the “joker in the middle” – that would be referee Matthew Foerster – “failed those guys.”
Olsen praised Hamid’s play, and then pointed to a non-call in stoppage time where a handball in the Vancouver box was not given as a penalty.
Following his rant, Olsen was asked if he received an explanation from the referee, which he laughed off before saying “they don’t have to explain. I do. I have to explain to my owners why I lost another game.”
If you want to hear the full postmatch rant, you can click here. WARNING hide your kids before clicking, it’s not exactly kosher language.
Interestingly enough, former U.S. international and current ESPN soccer commentator Alexi Lalas defended the penalty call, saying he thinks Hamid still fouled Watson whether he got the ball or not:
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 2
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 4
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 2
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1