Jun 29, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
The bid is said to be £20 million ($30.4 million), and Chelsea are expected to counter with a higher offer.
However, the Mirror cites “senior United sources” who strongly maintain that Rooney is not on the market.
It’s been heavily reported in the last few days that Rooney is scheduled to meet with new boss David Moyes to discuss his role with the club, and that’s still the case.
Rooney’s positional and tactical usage has shifted drastically over the course of his time at Old Trafford, as Sir Alex Ferguson moved the 27-year-old all over the pitch to accommodate other United arrivals and departures.
The Liverpool native’s current contract lasts for two more seasons and is worth a whopping £250,000 ($380,000) per week.
Before Sir Alex retired, the legendary manager claimed that Rooney asked for a transfer away from Old Trafford as recently as this January. Rooney refutes that claim, but apparently did voice his displeasure to management about being thrown around to different positions to accommodate Robin van Persie, Shinji Kagawa, and other new additions.
Arsenal are already deep into transfer negotiations with Gonzalo Higuain. With the Real Madrid striker hoping to be the guy at the Emirates after floundering at the Bernabeu, it will be interesting to see if this reported bid will affect those negotiations at all.
With one bid already apparently in and another supposed to be on its way, Rooney’s talks with Moyes could take an entirely new angle than they probably had anticipated.
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 2
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 2