Jun 29, 2013, 5:39 PM EST
His dad is talking up Real Madrid, his mom is blabbing about Manchester United, his boss says City have bid, and he is playing down his release clause value. With so much talk, no wonder there’s been constant media chatter.
So much, that Edinson Cavani’s had enough of it.
“My future? Too many things have been said over the last few days, so it is best to just stay quiet,” he said in a press conference from Brazil. “At the start I wasn’t bothered by all the speculation, but I have to admit now it is disturbing me. I want to focus on Uruguay and this match.”
What did you think was going to happen, big guy?
News broke today that Chelsea have apparently agreed to personal terms with the striker, but don’t want to pay the full €63 million release clause that Napoli have demanded.
He’ll have to deal with it ahead of Uruguay’s big third-place tie in the Confederations Cup against Italy. His country have used the 26-year-old primarily as a winger this tournament with Luis Suarez and Diego Forlan up front, and he hasn’t impressed.
It’s certainly possible that all the media attention on his club situation is causing his mind to wander.
Unfortunately, unless people tighten their lips, the daily media updates and questions won’t slow. And at this point, it probably won’t stop even if they did shut their mouths.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls