Jun 29, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
San Jose’s acquisition of Clarence Goodson has the fell and smell of a real game-changer. It may be a little too late for this year, especially since the transfer window rules and the upcoming Gold Cup will conspire to keep the Earthquakes’ new U.S. international out of an MLS kit until Aug. 4.
Either way, it’s a great time to debate whether the combo of sturdy Honduran international Victor Bernardez and Goodson will instantly become the league’s top central defensive pairing.
Here’s how I would rank them – obviously looking into the future a little on this one:
1. Sporting Kansas City’s Matt Besler and Aurelien Collin: Only caveat here is that Collin has to keep his head about him. He always looks to be one knee-high cleat from completing blowing his French top. Otherwise, all the elements of skill and tenacity are there.
2. San Jose Goodson and Bernardez: They lack just a little bit of speed, but otherwise there’s toughness, experience, size, quality passing … pretty much the whole package.
3. LA Galaxy’s Omar Gonzalez and A.J. DeLaGarza: Sure, there is a gap between the top guy and the second man, but it’s still a good pairing, one good enough to win an MLS Cup.
4. FC Dallas’ George John and Matt Hedges: Hedges had to play before he was ready last year, but that 2012 blooding is paying off now. John continues to be under-valued.
5. New England’s Jose Goncalves and Stephen McCarthy: A big reason for a league-low 13 goals allowed.
Aug 30, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Clint Dempsey’s second half goal pushed Seattle five clear at the top of the standings.
Aug 30, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Second half goal from Benedikt Höwedes gave Schalke a point at home.
Aug 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The young Swans manager is hoping to get “to the 40-point barrier as fast as possible” after the hot start.
Aug 30, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Both managers react to a crazy second half at Goodison Park.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
All the action from a sensational Saturday of Premier League action.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Real Madrid could be the deepest attacking side in the world right now, and they just may get deeper.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
One of the greatest games in Premier League history played out at Goodison. Relive it, here.
Aug 30, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The Tijuana midfielder absolutely smoked a goal home against Leones Negros on Friday night.
Aug 30, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Hammers boss laments poor decision but must look at his own teams shortcomings after poor display.
Aug 30, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The Special One got a special start from his players. Watch Chelsea vs. Everton live, right here.
Aug 30, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
“We had more possession of the ball than Burnley but more free-kicks were awarded against us than in favour of us,” van Gaal said. “I think that is remarkable.”
Aug 30, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Mame Biram Diouf is back from Germany, and the Senegalese forward has already scored a Premier League goal in exhilarating fashion.
Aug 30, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Watch Everton and Chelsea clash, right here.
Aug 30, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
One goal does not an exciting game make, but Harry Redknapp will be content to snare his first three points of the year.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Mame Biram Diouf’s dazzling run through Man City was the moment, but Stoke won the match with defense.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Swansea flying after third-straight win to start the season.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Remember the name Rolando Aarons, as the 18-year-old Jamaican-born Englishman starred in leading Newcastle back.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Schneiderlin double hands Saints their first win of the PL season.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Watch Routledge’s stunning volley for Swansea City.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
All the action from a frantic first half. Watch the 2nd half live, right here.
- Xabi Alonso debuts as Bayern Munich held at Schalke 0
- Premier League Saturday Roundup: Chelsea win classic; Stoke stun Man City 0
- Everton 3-6 Chelsea: Blues prevail in sensational nine-goal thriller (video) 1
- Manchester City 0-1 Stoke City: Diouf’s dribble springs upset (video) 1
- Newcastle United 3-3 Crystal Palace: Zaha hands Warnock dream comeback (video) 0
- VIDEO: Swansea City’s Wayne Routledge scores sensational volley 0