Jun 29, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
San Jose’s acquisition of Clarence Goodson has the fell and smell of a real game-changer. It may be a little too late for this year, especially since the transfer window rules and the upcoming Gold Cup will conspire to keep the Earthquakes’ new U.S. international out of an MLS kit until Aug. 4.
Either way, it’s a great time to debate whether the combo of sturdy Honduran international Victor Bernardez and Goodson will instantly become the league’s top central defensive pairing.
Here’s how I would rank them – obviously looking into the future a little on this one:
1. Sporting Kansas City’s Matt Besler and Aurelien Collin: Only caveat here is that Collin has to keep his head about him. He always looks to be one knee-high cleat from completing blowing his French top. Otherwise, all the elements of skill and tenacity are there.
2. San Jose Goodson and Bernardez: They lack just a little bit of speed, but otherwise there’s toughness, experience, size, quality passing … pretty much the whole package.
3. LA Galaxy’s Omar Gonzalez and A.J. DeLaGarza: Sure, there is a gap between the top guy and the second man, but it’s still a good pairing, one good enough to win an MLS Cup.
4. FC Dallas’ George John and Matt Hedges: Hedges had to play before he was ready last year, but that 2012 blooding is paying off now. John continues to be under-valued.
5. New England’s Jose Goncalves and Stephen McCarthy: A big reason for a league-low 13 goals allowed.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
To expect a walk-through against Krasnodar would be a mistake and one the Toffees could pay dearly for.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
It’s been a rough go of it lately for Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Who’s more interesting than Jurgen Klopp?
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Alves is ready to move to the Premier League. So what clubs might he fit in?
Oct 1, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
A great deal for the Revs, who will be able to add Sporting players on loan much like NYCFC can add Manchester City players.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Maradona pledged his support for the Palestinian cause back in 2012.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Liverpool’s struggles continue. Here’s three things we learned as they remain winless in four.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
Take in a top-flight football match anywhere in Turkey and you’ll be hard-pressed not to see at least a few flares among the fans.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
After eight games on Wednesday, here’s what happened around Europe.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
The Gunners provided one of their most stunning performances of the season on Wednesday, dismantling Group D opponents Galatasaray 4-1.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
Lackluster Liverpool now level on points with Basel, face Real Madrid in next two matches.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
“He scores when he wants. He scores when he wants. Danny Welbeck, he scores when he wants.”
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
A first-half brace from Danny Welbeck and a third from Alexis Sanchez handed Arsenal some breathing room against Galatasaray.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Arsenal are flying, so too are Leverkusen. Check out all the half time scores, here.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
The Gunners opened the Champions League group stage in disappointing form, losing 2-0 to BVB.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Can the Reds make it two wins from two in the Champions League?
Oct 1, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Zenit, Monaco remain top of Group C after a dour draw in Saint Petersburg.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Thierry Henry may be on his way out of New York City as turmoil at the top could drive him out.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The two sides had some internet fun after yesterday’s 1-1 Champions League draw.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The former president of CONMEBOL told Uruguayan TV that Suarez could return earlier than expected.
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1