Jun 29, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
A leprechaun, Odin’s 6-legged horse, and loyalty in soccer. What do those things all have in common?
They’re mythological. That is, until Julian Draxler showed up and changed the game.
Having just signed a new 5-year extension with his boyhood club Schalke, the German international is still a wanted man.
According to the German media outlet Bild, Draxler’s new contract includes a €45.5 million ($59.2 million) release clause.
Apparently a number of bigtime clubs were not only willing to match the release, but were also willing to offer the starlet a wage raise up to €12 million ($15.6 million) per year.
Schalke were quite interested in making a deal as well, as it would represent a record-high transfer fee in the history of the Bundesliga.
Instead of making the move 99.9% of players would accept in a heartbeat, he instead told those interested, simply, no.
“This season will be the shortest of my career, and therefore I do not wish to accustom to elsewhere” Draxler said. “Instead, I will play with Schalke in the Champions League and then fly with the national team to the World Cup in Brazil.”
At just 19 years of age, that kind of loyalty to refuse a massive sum of money is not only extraordinary, it’s groundbreaking.
If you think he stuck around at Veltins-Arena for any reason other than he loves Schalke, think again. After signing his new contract a month ago, he addressed the possibility of having moved to Borussia Dortmund by saying, “”Under no circumstances will I play for Borussia Dortmund in the coming season. I’d have to be brainwashed to join Dortmund.”
This kid loves Schalke, and nothing – not even money…lots and lots of money – can make him think otherwise.
Find me another player in the game like that. You can’t. Especially not a 19-year-old. A round of applause for Julian Draxler, please.
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 1
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 2
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0