Jun 29, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
First, Mexico fell immediately out of the Confederations Cup. Grouped with Italy and Brazil, it was always going to be tough on Jose Manuel “Chepo” de la Torre’s team.
But combined with the team’s pedestrian performance in final stage World Cup qualifying, it starts to add up.
Across the world in Turkey, the United States under-20 team failed to get out of group play in the FIFA tournament for young pros. (The players in Turkey are mostly 19 and 20, but the majority are already signed by professional teams.)
El Salvador also fell out of the group stage.
Mexico did, at least, sneak out of group play in Turkey – but just barely.
After losses to Greece and Paraguay, the Mexicans advanced into the elimination phase with a 4-1 win Friday over Mail. Mexico (backstopped, by the way, by FC Dallas goalkeeper Richard Sanchez) will play in the Round-of-16 on July 2 or 3.
- FOLLOW LIVE — Copa America final: Messi, Argentina face hosts Chile 0
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 3
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1