Jun 29, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
First, Mexico fell immediately out of the Confederations Cup. Grouped with Italy and Brazil, it was always going to be tough on Jose Manuel “Chepo” de la Torre’s team.
But combined with the team’s pedestrian performance in final stage World Cup qualifying, it starts to add up.
Across the world in Turkey, the United States under-20 team failed to get out of group play in the FIFA tournament for young pros. (The players in Turkey are mostly 19 and 20, but the majority are already signed by professional teams.)
El Salvador also fell out of the group stage.
Mexico did, at least, sneak out of group play in Turkey – but just barely.
After losses to Greece and Paraguay, the Mexicans advanced into the elimination phase with a 4-1 win Friday over Mail. Mexico (backstopped, by the way, by FC Dallas goalkeeper Richard Sanchez) will play in the Round-of-16 on July 2 or 3.
- USMNT move up one spot in latest FIFA World rankings 0
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 3
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0