Jun 29, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
There’s plenty of quality on the U.S. Gold Cup roster, surely enough to plow through group play against regional small fries Belize and Cuba, and hold its own against stronger Costa Rica.
But could there have been a little more quality, still?
And could there have been slightly more diversity from this roster to the one that just saw the United States so deftly navigate a four-week run of heavy-hitter friendlies and important World Cup qualifiers? For instance, don’t we all know what Edgar Castillo and Michael Orozco bring to the party? And should Chris Wondolowski, nowhere near 2012 form and having gotten previous chances with the full U.S. team, be part of this Gold Cup Cup roster?
Here are five MLS men I would have liked to have seen in the Gold Cup mix (listed alphabetically):
- Juan Agudelo: Having gotten lost in the organizational chaos that is Chivas USA, Agudelo (pictured on the left) is looking increasingly settled at New England. Don’t forget, this guy is still just 20 years old. It just seems like he’s been around a lot longer.
- FC Dallas’ George John: He’s a better passer than Omar Gonzalez and equal in ball winning to Matt Besler, the current first choice men in central defense under Jurgen Klinsmann. And John is better in most areas than Orozco. So …
- Chicago Fire’s Mike Magee: He is in stunning form, scoring again and again for Chicago, now with goals in all seven matches with the Fire since coming over from the LA Galaxy. (His latest came in a U.S. Open Cup win over Orlando City.) Simply put, in form and confidence, Magee is in a much better place at the moment that Wondolowski.
- New York Red Bulls Dax McCarty: Injuries have prevented the New York Red Bulls central midfielder from being quite his dominant 2012 self, but he’s still got the right blend of technical merit, tenacity and know-how to gobble up the midfield on his good days.
- Philadelphia Union’s Amobi Okugo: Another center back, one having a great year for Philadelphia. Plus, his versatility – the Union man can also play as a holding midfielder – makes the 22-year-old American worth introducing into the full national team sooner rather than later.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Saints are flying high early in the season, as preseason predictions of relegation seem to be well wide of the mark.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Can Welbeck and Ozil click and become Arsenal’s main offensive weapons?
Sep 20, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Raheem Stirling has narrowed Liverpool’s deficit to 2-1 at halftime in a Saturday afternoon thriller on NBC.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
“It’s not lost on me that I get accused of being arrogant but I’m also a proud man to be manager of this football club and I’m going to fight to keep it,” Pardew said.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Watch Real’s masterclass, as the Spanish giants batter Deportivo in La Liga.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Clarets and Black Cats still searching for first win of the season after stalemate.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
The loss drops Swansea to fifth place on nine points, while Saints jump into second place with 10 points.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Cisse revealed an undershirt message of “Always looking forward Jonas” for his teammate Gutierrez, who revealed cancer struggles earlier this week.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT
Three goals in three first half minutes do the business for Arsene Wenger’s men.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Liverpool will start Fabio Borini and Mario Balotelli up top after their last-gasp Champions League win over Ludogorets midweek.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Ozil and Welbeck rip Villa apart in stunning three-minute spell for the Gunners.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Action at Villa Park, while a Swan sees red at the Liberty.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Both clubs go in search of their first win of the season. Watch live, right here.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Can the Gunners grab their first win since the opening day of the season? Will Villa stay unbeaten? Watch live, right here.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Bafetimbi Gomis has been relegated to the bench for the hosts, while Shane Long gets the start up-top with Graziano Pelle for the Saints.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT
Kranjcar’s curler saves the day for Rangers, as Stoke are thwarted.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
Tigers midfielder David Meyler, recipient of a Pardew head butt last season, will start on the bench.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Mourinho: “Are the fines fair? I don’t think so. What is fair is to remove points and titles.”
Sep 20, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
LVG lays down the law ahead of United’s trip to Leicester on Sunday.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:27 AM EDT
Can QPR bounce back from last weeks drubbing and beat the Potters? Watch live, right here.
- At the half: West Ham builds 2-0 lead, Liverpool pulls one back 1
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0
- Watch live: West Ham United vs. Liverpool (Lineups) 0
- VIDEO: Arsenal score three goals in three minutes, as Gunners explode 0
- Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Stoke City: Kranjcar’s cracker saves QPR 0