Jun 29, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
There’s plenty of quality on the U.S. Gold Cup roster, surely enough to plow through group play against regional small fries Belize and Cuba, and hold its own against stronger Costa Rica.
But could there have been a little more quality, still?
And could there have been slightly more diversity from this roster to the one that just saw the United States so deftly navigate a four-week run of heavy-hitter friendlies and important World Cup qualifiers? For instance, don’t we all know what Edgar Castillo and Michael Orozco bring to the party? And should Chris Wondolowski, nowhere near 2012 form and having gotten previous chances with the full U.S. team, be part of this Gold Cup Cup roster?
Here are five MLS men I would have liked to have seen in the Gold Cup mix (listed alphabetically):
- Juan Agudelo: Having gotten lost in the organizational chaos that is Chivas USA, Agudelo (pictured on the left) is looking increasingly settled at New England. Don’t forget, this guy is still just 20 years old. It just seems like he’s been around a lot longer.
- FC Dallas’ George John: He’s a better passer than Omar Gonzalez and equal in ball winning to Matt Besler, the current first choice men in central defense under Jurgen Klinsmann. And John is better in most areas than Orozco. So …
- Chicago Fire’s Mike Magee: He is in stunning form, scoring again and again for Chicago, now with goals in all seven matches with the Fire since coming over from the LA Galaxy. (His latest came in a U.S. Open Cup win over Orlando City.) Simply put, in form and confidence, Magee is in a much better place at the moment that Wondolowski.
- New York Red Bulls Dax McCarty: Injuries have prevented the New York Red Bulls central midfielder from being quite his dominant 2012 self, but he’s still got the right blend of technical merit, tenacity and know-how to gobble up the midfield on his good days.
- Philadelphia Union’s Amobi Okugo: Another center back, one having a great year for Philadelphia. Plus, his versatility – the Union man can also play as a holding midfielder – makes the 22-year-old American worth introducing into the full national team sooner rather than later.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Neymar and Ronaldo stealing the show so far, as four on yellows for Barca. Live updates, here:
Oct 25, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Pellegrini magnanimous in defeat, but City could be eight points off top spot by the end of the weekend.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Reds thwarted by stubborn Tigers, as Balotelli fires a blank once again.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
West Brom won the shots battle 17-8 and carried nearly 70 percent of the possession by the time all was said and done.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
It was 1-0 at half, and it was all the Saints would need.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Arsenal make the most of awful errors from Sunderland.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Eighth-place Swans will host the suddenly-struggling Foxes as both teams look to rebuild momentum after good starts to the season.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Follow El Clasico here with live updates, as Suarez starts with his four month ban over.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Watch the second half of every match live, right here.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Watch this hilarious video, as Brand gives Big Sam a smooch.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Mario Balotelli score his first Premier League goal and get Liverpool going? Watch live, here.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Hammers win third-straight PL game, as City’s bad week gets worse.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Can the Gunners top Sunderland? Watch live.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
The Baggies are two points above the drop with 9 points, while Palace’s 8 points have them slightly less safe.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Around this time last season, Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic scored a goal in the wind against Southampton.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
Before the tournament, we asked whether they’d roar, and so far the US women have done so.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Van Gaal: “He’s very special but he is very special for me because we’ve continued our relationship.”
Oct 25, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
Just what is going wrong at the back for Liverpool? Brendan Rodgers has a theory…
Oct 25, 2014, 7:33 AM EDT
Can West Ham upset Man City? Watch live, here.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:02 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 9 live online or via the app.
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0