Jun 29, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
There’s plenty of quality on the U.S. Gold Cup roster, surely enough to plow through group play against regional small fries Belize and Cuba, and hold its own against stronger Costa Rica.
But could there have been a little more quality, still?
And could there have been slightly more diversity from this roster to the one that just saw the United States so deftly navigate a four-week run of heavy-hitter friendlies and important World Cup qualifiers? For instance, don’t we all know what Edgar Castillo and Michael Orozco bring to the party? And should Chris Wondolowski, nowhere near 2012 form and having gotten previous chances with the full U.S. team, be part of this Gold Cup Cup roster?
Here are five MLS men I would have liked to have seen in the Gold Cup mix (listed alphabetically):
- Juan Agudelo: Having gotten lost in the organizational chaos that is Chivas USA, Agudelo (pictured on the left) is looking increasingly settled at New England. Don’t forget, this guy is still just 20 years old. It just seems like he’s been around a lot longer.
- FC Dallas’ George John: He’s a better passer than Omar Gonzalez and equal in ball winning to Matt Besler, the current first choice men in central defense under Jurgen Klinsmann. And John is better in most areas than Orozco. So …
- Chicago Fire’s Mike Magee: He is in stunning form, scoring again and again for Chicago, now with goals in all seven matches with the Fire since coming over from the LA Galaxy. (His latest came in a U.S. Open Cup win over Orlando City.) Simply put, in form and confidence, Magee is in a much better place at the moment that Wondolowski.
- New York Red Bulls Dax McCarty: Injuries have prevented the New York Red Bulls central midfielder from being quite his dominant 2012 self, but he’s still got the right blend of technical merit, tenacity and know-how to gobble up the midfield on his good days.
- Philadelphia Union’s Amobi Okugo: Another center back, one having a great year for Philadelphia. Plus, his versatility – the Union man can also play as a holding midfielder – makes the 22-year-old American worth introducing into the full national team sooner rather than later.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
“I can only say that I’m very happy at City and at the moment we are talking about a contract,” Dzeko said.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
The 3,600 meters of elevation will provide a stiff challenge, with many opposing clubs having fallen victim to the altitude.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Manchester United continued their success in the US with a third consecutive victory.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Sturridge and Ibe step to the mic and hold their own.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
In team news, van Gaal has decided to go with his fabled 3-5-2.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
In a startling revelation, AS has revealed that Radamel Falcao has begun following three Real Madrid players on Instagram.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).
Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“Every penny of that will be up for reinvestment as transfer fees and wages,” Krueger said.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Where, exactly, Ronaldinho’s future ends up is anyone’s guess.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
ICC and MLS action is in full swing in the USA this week. Watch it all online, here.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Jacobson arrives in the Big Apple from Dallas. Will Aquilani join him?
Jul 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Now Schneiderlin wants out as Saints’ incredible exodus continues to take a turn for the worst.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Despite not winning any silverware last season, Barcelona were big winners off the pitch.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Tevez’s father, Juan Carlos Cabral, is said to have been kidnapped in Buenos Aires and held for ransom.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Southampton duo are going nowhere, despite being linked with Tottenham switch.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Liverpool sign talented Belgian teenager, will loan him back to Lille this season.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Even after calling African players “banana eaters” this man is set lead the Italian FA.
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 3