AVB sees himself managing 5-10 more years max

Jun 30, 2013, 8:11 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco - Race Getty Images

Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has told media he plans to walk away from coaching within the next decade.

His reason? He loves motorcycles, almost to the point of obsession.

“For me, there is a limit and, in the next five to ten years, I will quit coaching” said the 35-year-old. “To compete in the Dakar Rally is a lifetime ambition for me and is something I know I have to do.”

The Dakar Rally is a rally raid off-road marathon race with different classes, including car, truck, and motorcycle classes.  The race ended in Dakar, Senegal every year since its inception in 1978 up to 2009 when it has since been moved to various locations.”

The Portugese boss said what started as a hobby has grown much bigger in importance.

“It went from a passion to an ­obligation, a destination of life, but I can only do it when I leave football. I will do it.”

Villas-Boas loves racing and often attends high-profile events.  He was recently seen at the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at the end of May, which is where the picture above was taken.

In an article in the Guardian from last September, Villas-Boas talked of his love for motorcycles, and even then mentioned the Dakar Rally as a target, foreshadowing what would become an obsession.

“I have a couple of bikes from the Dakar Rally,” he said. “One is in my collection and the other I ride. I have a bit of a crazy head so I have enduro-bikes. I go into mountains with the big rocks and almost kill myself. It feels fantastic. It’s my escape, my passion. You feel the need for it. Riding is adrenaline-fuelled and feels good. We all have our passions and respond in different ways. Makes you feel good. I would love to do Paris-Dakar, yes. It’s expensive. But maybe it’s something for when my career ends.”

Despite the crazy head, he ultimately wants to be judged on his performances on the pitch when he does decide to call it quits on the touchline.

“My passion for football makes me live it very intensively over 11 months and dedicate myself to that, but I think life allows you to enjoy other things. I just want to be proud of my career. I try to play good football with the teams I join and this is the recognition that fulfils me. I do not know where my career will take me. What I do know is that it will not last too long.”

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Sunday review: Toronto FC ease to victory against lowly Chivas USA

Sep 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT

toronto_fc AP

Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA was the only MLS match to occur on Sunday.

2. La Liga and Serie A roundup: Real Madrid smokes Deportivo, Juve downs Milan

Sep 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT

cristiano_ronaldo AP

Roundup of Serie A and La Liga matches from the weekend.

3. Manchester City’s Zabaleta believes Diego Costa luckily escaped red card

Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT

manchester-city-pablo-zabaleta Getty Images

Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.

4. Barcelona stays undefeated with 5-0 drubbing of Levante

Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT

FC Barcelona v SL Benfica - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.

5. Joe Hart’s Manchester City future in limbo, Liverpool may target the goalkeeper

Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT

Can England start to churn out talents such as Joe Hart from SGP on a regular basis? Getty Images

Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.

6. Merseyside police to explore racist comments at Mario Balotelli

Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT

hi-res-133f09d31924ea9d682e1f1a8a3ffef1_crop_north Getty Images

More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.

7. Mesut Ozil, Danny Welbeck brandish skills in 3-0 win over Aston Villa

Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT

Mesut Özil returns for Arsenal as they attempt to reclaim the top of the Premier League table with a win over Stoke. AP

Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

8. WATCH: Alessandro Florenzi embraces grandmother in stands after goal

Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Unknown Getty Images

Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.

9. Roberto Martinez on Crystal Palace loss: ‘We didn’t have that real drive about us’

Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT

Martinez AP

Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.

10. Daniel Sturridge reacts to Lampard’s equalizer against Chelsea

Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Lampard Getty Images

One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.

11. Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

Lampard AP

We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.

12. Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Zabaleta AP

Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.

13. Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Visitors overwhelm Goodson with deadly counters (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

PalaceEverton

Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.

14. Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter

Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT

Balotelli AP

Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.

15. VIDEO: Angel Di Maria scores stunning chip for Manchester United

Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

ManchesterUnited AP

Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.

16. Watch Live: Everton vs. Crystal Palace (Lineups)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Everton Getty Images

Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.

17. Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Chelsea (Lineups)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT

Costa AP

Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.

18. Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

LCFCvMUFC Getty Images

Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.

19. Tottenham 0-1 West Brom: Baggies get off the bottom with deserved win (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

WestBrom Getty Images

Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals