AVB sees himself managing 5-10 more years max

Jun 30, 2013, 8:11 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco - Race Getty Images

Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has told media he plans to walk away from coaching within the next decade.

His reason? He loves motorcycles, almost to the point of obsession.

“For me, there is a limit and, in the next five to ten years, I will quit coaching” said the 35-year-old. “To compete in the Dakar Rally is a lifetime ambition for me and is something I know I have to do.”

The Dakar Rally is a rally raid off-road marathon race with different classes, including car, truck, and motorcycle classes.  The race ended in Dakar, Senegal every year since its inception in 1978 up to 2009 when it has since been moved to various locations.”

The Portugese boss said what started as a hobby has grown much bigger in importance.

“It went from a passion to an ­obligation, a destination of life, but I can only do it when I leave football. I will do it.”

Villas-Boas loves racing and often attends high-profile events.  He was recently seen at the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at the end of May, which is where the picture above was taken.

In an article in the Guardian from last September, Villas-Boas talked of his love for motorcycles, and even then mentioned the Dakar Rally as a target, foreshadowing what would become an obsession.

“I have a couple of bikes from the Dakar Rally,” he said. “One is in my collection and the other I ride. I have a bit of a crazy head so I have enduro-bikes. I go into mountains with the big rocks and almost kill myself. It feels fantastic. It’s my escape, my passion. You feel the need for it. Riding is adrenaline-fuelled and feels good. We all have our passions and respond in different ways. Makes you feel good. I would love to do Paris-Dakar, yes. It’s expensive. But maybe it’s something for when my career ends.”

Despite the crazy head, he ultimately wants to be judged on his performances on the pitch when he does decide to call it quits on the touchline.

“My passion for football makes me live it very intensively over 11 months and dedicate myself to that, but I think life allows you to enjoy other things. I just want to be proud of my career. I try to play good football with the teams I join and this is the recognition that fulfils me. I do not know where my career will take me. What I do know is that it will not last too long.”

Latest Posts
  1. Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets

Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

Don Garber AP

Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.

2. No Turkish delight for Arsenal: Ramsey sent off, Arteta injured, Wenger fumes

Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT

Arsene Wenger, Slaven Bilic AP

Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”

3. Thomas Muller reveals he rejected “astronomical” offer from Manchester United

Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-MAN CITY-BAYERN MUNICH Getty Images

Muller: “The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club.”

4. Swansea City sign Argentine defender Federico Fernandez

Aug 20, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Argentina v Bosnia-Herzegovina: Group F - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Fernandez arrives from Napoli as Swans sign Argentine center back.

5. Newly appointed Italian soccer president probed by UEFA amid racism claims

Aug 20, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT

Italy Federation Racism AP

Following his alleged racist comments, leader of Italian soccer facing lengthy ban.

6. Wednesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Carvalho to Chelsea, Zaha to Palace

Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Sporting Lisboa's William Carvalho celebrates his goal against Porto during their Portuguese premier league soccer match in Porto Reuters

Arsenal to miss out on Carvalho, Nastasic, as rumors continue to swirl. Check out the latest gossip, here.

7. No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal

Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT

Manchester City v Barcelona - UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Getty Images

Barcelona banned by FIFA from signing any new players from September 2014 to January 2016.

8. Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals

Aug 20, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT

Manchester United v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

Spurs set to hand Red Devils duo escape route from Old Trafford?

9. CONCACAF Champions League Roundup: Champions fall in Panama; Sporting slips at Estelí

Aug 20, 2014, 1:47 AM EDT

concacaf champions league logo

Portland victorious in CCL debut,while Club América affirmed their place as one of the competition’s favorites.

10. Where in the world is Juan Agudelo? “Munich” may soon be the answer

Aug 19, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT

Agudelo Getty Images

21-year-old striker may turn to the 2.Bundesliga to get his young career back on track.

11. Moor’s season-ending injury sends Rapids’ defense into upheaval

Aug 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Colorado Rapids v Philadelphia Union Getty Images

Injury couldn’t have come at a worse time for slumping Colorado.

12. Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid

Aug 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

gareth_bale AP

James Rodríguez’s opener is pulled back in the 81st minute, sending the rivals to the Calderón even.

13. UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples

Aug 19, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

arsenal_besiktas AP

Steaua Bucharest, Bayer Leverkusen, and Red Bull Salzburg earned first leg wins.

14. PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo

Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Colorado Rapids v FC Dallas Getty Images

Tesho Akindele won the league’s honor, leaving is with one question: How? Teammate Fabián Castillo was clearly FC Dallas’s (and the league’s) best player.

15. Fantasyland: Week One heroes, leaders, busts, three names to monitor

Aug 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Sunderland v Udinese - Pre Season Friendly Getty Images

A pair of Liverpool midfielders let down their owners, while Hull was the key to big, big scores.

16. VIDEO: Ba hits the bar from midfield off opening kickoff vs Arsenal

Aug 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Ba 1

Demba Ba had the gumption to try and score one of the earliest goals of all-time in Besiktas’ UCL match against Arsenal on Tuesday

17. Man says Liverpool tattoo helped him through 19 hours vs sea, sharks

Aug 19, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

Channel 7 via The Mirror Channel 7 via The Mirror

Swimming with sharks, and knowing his fishing companions faced death, Kim Thomsen leaned on the fact that he wasn’t swimming alone.

18. Tuesday transfer rumor roundup: Falcao to Liverpool, Welbeck to Hull?

Aug 19, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Vincent-Aboubakar Getty Images

Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer claims Marco Reus is headed to Manchester United… next summer.

19. Sporting CP confirms swap of Rojo to Manchester United for Nani, money

Aug 19, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT

APTOPIX Brazil Soccer WCup Germany Argentina AP

Hours after apologizing for trying to force a move to Manchester United, Argentina defender Marcos Rojo is commenting on said move.

20. Tim Leiweke denies reports that he’s stepping down in Toronto

Aug 19, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT

MLS Toronto FC Gilberto Soccer AP

The MLSE boss has been good for Toronto FC, bringing in Jermain Defoe and Michael Bradley, and is denying a report that he’s leaving town.

Top five PL goals, Week 1