AVB sees himself managing 5-10 more years max

Jun 30, 2013, 8:11 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco - Race Getty Images

Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has told media he plans to walk away from coaching within the next decade.

His reason? He loves motorcycles, almost to the point of obsession.

“For me, there is a limit and, in the next five to ten years, I will quit coaching” said the 35-year-old. “To compete in the Dakar Rally is a lifetime ambition for me and is something I know I have to do.”

The Dakar Rally is a rally raid off-road marathon race with different classes, including car, truck, and motorcycle classes.  The race ended in Dakar, Senegal every year since its inception in 1978 up to 2009 when it has since been moved to various locations.”

The Portugese boss said what started as a hobby has grown much bigger in importance.

“It went from a passion to an ­obligation, a destination of life, but I can only do it when I leave football. I will do it.”

Villas-Boas loves racing and often attends high-profile events.  He was recently seen at the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at the end of May, which is where the picture above was taken.

In an article in the Guardian from last September, Villas-Boas talked of his love for motorcycles, and even then mentioned the Dakar Rally as a target, foreshadowing what would become an obsession.

“I have a couple of bikes from the Dakar Rally,” he said. “One is in my collection and the other I ride. I have a bit of a crazy head so I have enduro-bikes. I go into mountains with the big rocks and almost kill myself. It feels fantastic. It’s my escape, my passion. You feel the need for it. Riding is adrenaline-fuelled and feels good. We all have our passions and respond in different ways. Makes you feel good. I would love to do Paris-Dakar, yes. It’s expensive. But maybe it’s something for when my career ends.”

Despite the crazy head, he ultimately wants to be judged on his performances on the pitch when he does decide to call it quits on the touchline.

“My passion for football makes me live it very intensively over 11 months and dedicate myself to that, but I think life allows you to enjoy other things. I just want to be proud of my career. I try to play good football with the teams I join and this is the recognition that fulfils me. I do not know where my career will take me. What I do know is that it will not last too long.”

Latest Posts
  1. Real Madrid release statement criticizing Platini’s comments

Nov 28, 2014, 8:10 PM EST

FBL-EURO-2016-POR-ARM Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo’s club was upset after the UEFA president said he believed a world champion should win the Ballon d’Or.

2. Can Thibaut Courtois surpass Manuel Neuer as the world’s best?

Nov 28, 2014, 7:04 PM EST

Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers - Premier League Getty Images

According to Gary Neville, there may soon be a changing of the guards for best goalkeeper in the world.

3. Arsene Wenger: Gunners to buy during transfer window

Nov 28, 2014, 6:13 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-ARSENAL-MAN UTD Getty Images

No team has been hit harder by injuries than Arsenal, who will look to bolster their squad during the January transfer window.

4. UEFA schedules disciplinary hearing after pitch invasions at Spurs match

Nov 28, 2014, 5:20 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C3-TOTTENHAM-PARTIZAN Getty Images

Tottenham’s Europa League match against Partizan Belgrade was briefly suspended after multiple fans stormed the pitch.

5. Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Chelsea

Nov 28, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

FC Schalke 04 v Chelsea FC - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Sunderland face a daunting task as they host a Chelsea side that hasn’t lost since a friendly on August 3rd.

6. Geoff Cameron talks Thanksgiving, Stoke City vs. Liverpool and more

Nov 28, 2014, 3:50 PM EST

USA Training & Press Conference - 2014 FIFA World Cup Getty Images

Cameron talks turkey, playing at one of his favorite stadiums, sickness bugs and more in his first piece for PST.

7. Liverpool’s Rodgers calls himself the bettor’s choice to get fired

Nov 28, 2014, 2:13 PM EST

Bulgaria Soccer Champions League AP

It’s no surprise that the Liverpool manager is feeling the heat after the Reds 12th place start.

8. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester United, Chelsea, QPR

Nov 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Rooney bagged what turned out to be the game-winner as United go fourth. Getty Images

Here’s how PST’s lead writer and editor sees things panning out this weekend.

9. VIDEO: Seattle Sounders supporters, culture getting just recognition

Nov 28, 2014, 1:20 PM EST

MLS Galaxy Sounders Soccer AP

It’s a vibrant and informative take on the big following in Seattle, one that even Sounders haters can respect for its size, dedication and creativity.

10. Top Five storylines for Week 13 of the Premier League

Nov 28, 2014, 12:35 PM EST

Manchester City v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Top Four and Bottom Three match-ups take the battle for Premier League places to a different level this weekend.

11. WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 13

Nov 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch all the PL games during Week 13.

12. Premier League Preview: Manchester United vs. Hull City

Nov 28, 2014, 11:52 AM EST

Manchester United v Hull City - Premier League Getty Images

Hull City is looking for a historic win when they visit surging Manchester United on Saturday.

13. Sure there’s “interest throughout Europe”, but where is the best spot for Jozy Altidore?

Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST

Altidore Getty Images

We pick three clubs in three countries that could be a landing spot for the out-of-favor Sunderland striker in the January transfer window.

14. Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Arsenal

Nov 28, 2014, 10:10 AM EST

West Bromwich Albion's Reid shouts at Arsenal's Cazorla during their English Premier League soccer match in London Reuters

The Baggies are coming off losses to Chelsea and Newcastle, and are four points back of eighth place Arsenal. The NBCSN match kicks at 745am ET.

15. Pick just three?!? FIFPro World XI midfielder shortlist is Juve-heavy, really good

Nov 28, 2014, 9:37 AM EST

FC Internazionale Milano v Juventus - Serie A Getty Images

Spain (4) and Germany (3) are the only nations with multiple members.

16. Roy Keane’s time with Aston Villa has come to an end

Nov 28, 2014, 8:35 AM EST

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Manchester United’s legendary midfielder will stay in his assistant coach role for Ireland, spend more time with his family.

17. Feature on Kevin Alston details Revolution defender’s battle with leukemia

Nov 28, 2014, 7:58 AM EST

New England Revolution v New York Red Bulls - Eastern Conference Final - Leg 1 Getty Images

Vice Sports writer Kevin Koczwara has the story of Alston’s fight with chronic myelogenous leukemia.

18. New England Revolution, 90 minutes from MLS Cup, must simply avoid second-leg disaster vs. Red Bulls

Nov 27, 2014, 11:15 PM EST

Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies

It’s been a long time since the New England Revolution lost by mulitple goals, which the New York Red Bulls must achieve to reach MLS Cup 2014.

19. Europa League roundup: Spurs, Celtic advance; Inter Milan, Fiorentina clinch top spots

Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

The big Europa League sides have begun to advance to the knockout round, with a few more very close to joining them.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday