Jun 30, 2013, 8:11 AM EST
Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has told media he plans to walk away from coaching within the next decade.
His reason? He loves motorcycles, almost to the point of obsession.
“For me, there is a limit and, in the next five to ten years, I will quit coaching” said the 35-year-old. “To compete in the Dakar Rally is a lifetime ambition for me and is something I know I have to do.”
The Dakar Rally is a rally raid off-road marathon race with different classes, including car, truck, and motorcycle classes. The race ended in Dakar, Senegal every year since its inception in 1978 up to 2009 when it has since been moved to various locations.”
The Portugese boss said what started as a hobby has grown much bigger in importance.
“It went from a passion to an obligation, a destination of life, but I can only do it when I leave football. I will do it.”
Villas-Boas loves racing and often attends high-profile events. He was recently seen at the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at the end of May, which is where the picture above was taken.
In an article in the Guardian from last September, Villas-Boas talked of his love for motorcycles, and even then mentioned the Dakar Rally as a target, foreshadowing what would become an obsession.
“I have a couple of bikes from the Dakar Rally,” he said. “One is in my collection and the other I ride. I have a bit of a crazy head so I have enduro-bikes. I go into mountains with the big rocks and almost kill myself. It feels fantastic. It’s my escape, my passion. You feel the need for it. Riding is adrenaline-fuelled and feels good. We all have our passions and respond in different ways. Makes you feel good. I would love to do Paris-Dakar, yes. It’s expensive. But maybe it’s something for when my career ends.”
Despite the crazy head, he ultimately wants to be judged on his performances on the pitch when he does decide to call it quits on the touchline.
“My passion for football makes me live it very intensively over 11 months and dedicate myself to that, but I think life allows you to enjoy other things. I just want to be proud of my career. I try to play good football with the teams I join and this is the recognition that fulfils me. I do not know where my career will take me. What I do know is that it will not last too long.”
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F, a real heavyweight of a foursome, was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Former Inter star sends Juve down to the Europa League with help from Didier Drogba.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? Check out how the sides stack up after a double dose of action last week:
Dec 11, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Any takers on these three countries as potential upset-springers in Brazil?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
Could Newcastle set a standard in offering exclusive access to paying media members?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:31 AM EST
Has Wayne Rooney rejected contract talks with Manchester United? Can a suitor pry Vincent Kompany from City? All this and more in Wednesday’s transfer rumor roundup.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:41 AM EST
Man City boss Manuel Pellegrini and goal scorer James Milner apparently in dark over UEFA Champions League tiebreaking rules.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EST
Relax – the LA Galaxy and U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer isn’t going anywhere:
Dec 10, 2013, 10:31 PM EST
So the New York Red Bulls’ top organizational man says wants Henry to consider another year after 2014, eh?
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 4
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"