Jun 30, 2013, 8:50 AM EST
The San Jose Earthquakes snatched victory from the clutches of defeat last night at the expense of their California rivals LA Galaxy.
After the Quakes were dominated for much of the match, Shea Salinas latched onto a loose ball in the box two minutes into stoppage time to equalize. Just a minute later the Galaxy defense failed to clear again and a wonder chip by Sam Cronin to the far post found Alan Gordon’s head for the win.
The win rocked Stanford Stadium, but the losers knew they let it slip away, and their manager dug in.
“I’m absolutely embarrassed at that performance, it’s disgraceful” said Galaxy manager Bruce Arena. He called his players and coaches “poor and stupid” but bore the brunt of the responsibility, saying “That game, we should win that going away at the end of the game. It’s embarrassing, our performance at the end of the game. That’s all on me. That’s my responsibility with this team.”
When asked what specifically the Galaxy could have done better, the frustration showed. “I don’t even want to go into that” said the 61-year-old. “If you have an IQ of 50, you can figure that out.”
The Galaxy will be ruing their missed opportunities to go well up in the match. Robbie Rogers, Robbie Keane, Gyasi Zardes, Hector Jiminez, and Marcelo Sarvas all missed key opportunities. Other than a short spell after the halftime break, LA were firmly in control.
One in particular stood out, where Keane – who was brilliant most of the night – had an opening but continued a never-ending back-and-forth with Landon Donovan, and neither shot the ball before possession was lost.
“The longer you play this game, the more you see games like that, where one team dominates and you don’t score, and the next thing you know, you’re on the losing end” said Arenas.
The win gives the Goonies life towards the bottom of the Western Conference, just three points back of the Galaxy who remain in fifth.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit