Jun 30, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
New York got a needed win at a sold out Red Bull Arena, but after another performance where Dom Kinnear’s team failed to muster some much needed goals, the questions are mounting for last year’s MLS Cup finalists.
The Dynamo were again without Brad Davis and Boniek Garcia, a situation that has plagued them for much of the last two months. Be it through World Cup qualification or injuries, the team’s two best players have rarely featured for their club. As a result, Houston has been unable to consistently get on the scoresheet.
That was to New York’s benefit this afternoon, with second half goals from Fabian Espindola and Jonny Steele vaulting Mike Petke’s team to a 2-0 win and into second in the East. The evolving state of the conference has a something to do with that lofty standing, but for a Red Bulls team that hadn’t won since May 19, the result will be more important that their conference ranking.
Houston do remain in the top five, two points ahead of New England, but the Dynamo persist in their strange state, not knowing what they actually have. How good can they be? Don’t know until Davis and Boniek are back. Who poses the biggest threat to another playoff run? Don’t know until Davis and Boniek are back. What areas need to be addressed before the postseason? Don’t know until Davis and Boniek are back.
The only thing Houston know for sure is that they can’t compete until their stars are healthy. Winless in league since May 5, scoreless in 429 minutes, and with two goals in their last seven games, the Dynamo may be in trouble.
Though we don’t know until Davis and Boniek are back.
- Premier League final day roundup: 2014-15 season finishes with a flourish 0
- West Ham announce Sam Allardyce will not return as manager 0
- Hull City 0-0 Manchester United: Tigers go down after squandering chances 0
- Newcastle United 2-0 West Ham United: Sissoko, Jonas leave nothing to chance 0
- VIDEO: Theo Walcott’s first-half hat trick will live in Boaz Myhill’s dreams 0
- Watch Live: Hull City vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0