Jun 30, 2013, 7:25 AM EDT
With the sad story of Wolverhampton Wanderers seeing the team relegated twice in two years, players have begun to search for greener pastures.
One of the few bright spots for Wolves last year in the Championship, winger Bakary Sako has said he expects to be heading to the Premier League and is confused why transfer talks have hit a snag.
“I was told I could speak to Fulham and now I don’t understand the delay. I would like things to be sorted out” said the 25-year-old.
Sako was awarded the player of the season last year despite the disappointment, as his pace and touch impressed not only his own club but Fulham manager Martin Jol as well. Unfortunately for Sako, the two clubs have reportedly been haggling over the transfer fee, said to be in the £4 million ($6 million) range.
“At that first meeting, I sat with [the former Wolves manager] Stale Solbakken and Jez Moxey and they told me if we didn’t get promoted, the club would let me go” said Sako. “I am only being ambitious. I believe the fans will understand that. In the difficult moments we had last season, they were very good to me and I hope they saw someone who gave everything back to them.”
Wolves were in the Premier League just two seasons ago, but have suffered successive relegations, prompting the chairman to release a stirring statement in May about how he has “failed the city.”
“Clearly a lot of mistakes have been made over the past two seasons” Wolverhampton chairman Steve Morgan said in the statement. “Although every decision has been with the Club’s best interests at heart, we have clearly got some of those decisions wrong. I understand the fans’ pain, anger and resentment towards me, the Board and the players, especially within the context of successive relegations.”
With Sako the first to take flight to avoid League One, a number of others could be out the door as well. Morgan speculated in his statement that “quite naturally a number of players will leave in the summer, but they will only go if it is right for the Club.” Striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, who was a starter during both relegation seasons, left the club with the expiration of his contract.
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Liverpool suffer stunning home defeats 0
- Tim Howard ready for USMNT return, as heroics rescue Everton 0
- Three things we learned from Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton 2
- Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: Hammers stun Reds at Anfield in fiery encounter 2
- Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Blues stunned at home by Eagles 4
- Manchester City 2-0 Watford: Sterling scores, hosts make history in comfortable win 0