Jul 1, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Word from German news source Express.de is that Bayer Levekusen have rejected a bid by Arsenal for midfielder Lars Bender.
While the reports have been backed by top journalists throughout Europe, the amount of the bid has become a subject of controversy. The Express article claims the bid was for €23 million ($30.2m) although German-based journalist, Raphael Hongistein, now claims the amount was closer to €15 million ($19.6m).
One thing is for sure, Leverkusen’s rejection is categorical, meaning the bid did not fail due to improper valuation, rather the German side simply does not want to sell. Which makes sense.
Bender is a budding 25 year old German international who anchored the Werkself midfield with 3 goals and six assists in 33 Bundesliga appearances last season. What’s more, Leverkusen can hardly fail to lose a third key player having already sold right-back Dani Carvajal to Real Madrid and Andre Schurrle to Chelsea this summer.
Arsenal’s decision to pursue Bender, who’s twin brother Sven plays for Borussia Dortmund, indicates a growing desire to provide Jack Wilshire with a midfield upgrade from Mikel Arteta and Aaron Ramsey.
While manager Arsene Wenger has not indicated an intent to sell either Gunner, Bender is part of a growing list of holding midfielders – headlined by Everton’s Marouane Fellaini and Celtic’s Victor Wanyama – who have been mentioned as the potential answer to Arsenal’s desire to add grit to the center of the park.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes