Jul 1, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
Word from German news source Express.de is that Bayer Levekusen have rejected a bid by Arsenal for midfielder Lars Bender.
While the reports have been backed by top journalists throughout Europe, the amount of the bid has become a subject of controversy. The Express article claims the bid was for €23 million ($30.2m) although German-based journalist, Raphael Hongistein, now claims the amount was closer to €15 million ($19.6m).
One thing is for sure, Leverkusen’s rejection is categorical, meaning the bid did not fail due to improper valuation, rather the German side simply does not want to sell. Which makes sense.
Bender is a budding 25 year old German international who anchored the Werkself midfield with 3 goals and six assists in 33 Bundesliga appearances last season. What’s more, Leverkusen can hardly fail to lose a third key player having already sold right-back Dani Carvajal to Real Madrid and Andre Schurrle to Chelsea this summer.
Arsenal’s decision to pursue Bender, who’s twin brother Sven plays for Borussia Dortmund, indicates a growing desire to provide Jack Wilshire with a midfield upgrade from Mikel Arteta and Aaron Ramsey.
While manager Arsene Wenger has not indicated an intent to sell either Gunner, Bender is part of a growing list of holding midfielders – headlined by Everton’s Marouane Fellaini and Celtic’s Victor Wanyama – who have been mentioned as the potential answer to Arsenal’s desire to add grit to the center of the park.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"