Jul 1, 2013, 3:12 PM EST
Edinson Cavani already stood high in the list of summer transfer targets – and that was before he delivered the goods over and over at the Confederations Cup. The Napoli man punctuated those strong and steady performances with two goals in Sunday’s third-place game against Italy.
The transfer window in Europe officially opens today, and depending on which report you believed, his value on the transfer market was already around $70 million, and that was before the tournament in Brazil. Safe to say he did nothing to dent the value, and quite possibly pushed it further north.
Cavani was Serie A’s top scorer last year with 29 goals, which is why the big boys of England (read: Manchester City, Chelsea and others) and Real Madrid are all lining up to pry him out of Naples.
(If you care about this, the bookmakers site Stamford Bridge as his most likely destination)
As for the Cavani’s part in the coming summer bidding, he’s learned his lesson and decided to put things on hold. What he told Rai TV after yesterday’s loss in penalty kicks to Italy:
Everything I say at the moment could be misunderstood, so I prefer not to talk about the future. … I’m going on holiday with my family and then I will come back to Italy to consider the whole situation.”
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit