Jul 1, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
Edinson Cavani already stood high in the list of summer transfer targets – and that was before he delivered the goods over and over at the Confederations Cup. The Napoli man punctuated those strong and steady performances with two goals in Sunday’s third-place game against Italy.
The transfer window in Europe officially opens today, and depending on which report you believed, his value on the transfer market was already around $70 million, and that was before the tournament in Brazil. Safe to say he did nothing to dent the value, and quite possibly pushed it further north.
Cavani was Serie A’s top scorer last year with 29 goals, which is why the big boys of England (read: Manchester City, Chelsea and others) and Real Madrid are all lining up to pry him out of Naples.
(If you care about this, the bookmakers site Stamford Bridge as his most likely destination)
As for the Cavani’s part in the coming summer bidding, he’s learned his lesson and decided to put things on hold. What he told Rai TV after yesterday’s loss in penalty kicks to Italy:
Everything I say at the moment could be misunderstood, so I prefer not to talk about the future. … I’m going on holiday with my family and then I will come back to Italy to consider the whole situation.”
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Southampton name former Edmonton Oilers coach its new chairman 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 0
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League