Jul 1, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
If viewer reactions were anything to go by, the first edition of MLS Breakaway lived up to the lofty expectations fans had when they imagined an NFL Red Zone-type experience for Major League Soccer. With a Stamford, Conn. studio anchoring “whip-around” coverage of a number of MLS games, users were able to keep track of all major events during March’s debut, with Arlo White and Kyle Martino’s analysis guiding them through the day’s action.
Now the event is back, with Major League Soccer and NBC Sports Group coming together to announce MLS Breakaway’s August 3rd return, with new voice of NBC Soccer John Strong joining Martino set to cover four matches whose start times have been adjusted for the return engagement.
From today’s announcement:
“I’m excited to be a part of the next edition of MLS Breakaway,” Strong said. “I really enjoyed watching the first show in March and its high-energy, ‘center of the soccer universe’ feel as they whipped around from game to game.”
Added Martino: “Get ready for another MLS Breakaway. Everyone had such a blast the first time around we decided to run it back. With the help of comments and suggestions from fans, we are building off the first show to try and capture all the MLS weekend excitement in the most creative ways possible. See you then!”
The day will kick off with full coverage of Sporting Kansas City hosting New York Red Bulls on NBCSN. Then, starting with D.C. United’s 7:30 kickoff against visiting Montréal, Strong and Martino will go into full Breakaway coverage, looking in on regional broadcasts of the four other Saturday night games.
Full schedule of NBC Sports Network’s soccer coverage on Sat., August 3 (all times ET):
|Game 1||Sporting Kansas City||New York Red Bulls||6:30 p.m.|
|Game 2*||D.C. United||Montreal Impact||7:30 p.m.|
|Game 3*||Philadelphia Union||Chicago Fire||8 p.m.|
|Game 4*||Colorado Rapids||Real Salt Lake||8:30 p.m.|
|Game 5*||Houston Dynamo||Columbus Crew||9 p.m.|
- Americans Abroad review: Boyd bags brace, Johannsson heads home (video) 2
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Southampton 0
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6