Jul 1, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
What’s next for a 21-year-old who’s the toast of the soccer world? A scalpel. And if Rio de Janeiro’s hospitals ascribe to the same remedies we do in North America, a lot of ice cream.
After four goals, two assists, the Golden Ball, and a first place finish in the Confederations Cup, Neymar is scheduled to go under the knife on Friday, ready for a procedure to address a persistent throat problem. According to Barcelona, the Brazilian star will undergo a tonsillectomy in Rio while his future teammate, left back Jordi Alba, will be undergoing the same procedure in Spain:
“It’s a problem that I have, my throat always bothers me, so we’re going to operate to resolve it once and for all,” he said, adding that it was not a serious issue.
The expected recovery time is 10 days, and while Neymar’s surgery will be done in Brazil, a Barcelona representative will be there to supervise the procedure.
That’s modern soccer of you. ‘I don’t care if it is just a tonsillectomy, we want our guy there!’
Some trivia about tonsillectomies: Here in the States, the procedure had been used almost exclusively for illness until recently. In the 1980s, 90 percent of cases in children were caused by recurrent infection. Now that number is down to 20 percent, with the other 80 percent undergoing the procedure to treat obstructive sleep problems (apnea).
Whatever the reason behind Neymar’s procedure, the date of operation and recovery timeline (assuming that takes place in Brazil) will put him in Spain just ahead of Barcelona’s first preseason friendly: July 20, against Polish club Lechia Gdansk.
Yes, the club season is just that close.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 1
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs