Jul 1, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Whichever way this one went, someone was going to feel hard done.
Alan Gordon certainly had a compelling case as Major League Soccer’s Player of the Week for Round 18. He did his part and then some in the Earthquakes’ splashy comeback win Saturday, rallying for three unanswered goals before a near-capacity Stanford Stadium in a memorable 3-2 win.
Gordon’s goal in the 68th minute and his stoppage time game-winner were good enough to earn the U.S. international this week’s MLS honors, the first by a ‘Quakes’ man in 2012.
But could anyone have pounded fists on unsuspecting desks if Sporting Kansas City’s Kei Kamara had been named? He was also a two-goal scorer. And just like Gordon’s strikes, they were needed and necessary, both.
Kamara’s first goal was pure class, two wonderful touches that were probably more difficult than he made them look, running at top speed as he was. (In our MLS Week in Review, we called it the week’s best goal.)
Kamara’s second strike, the game-winner in a 3-2 victory over visiting Columbus, was a little more difficult than it looked, too. The strike itself was fairly basic stuff, but the timing mattered. Watch below as Kamara begins to hit a hurried shot – then wisely recognizes that he’s got time to line up the target and ensure solid contact, which is exactly what he get while pulling Crew goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum slightly out of position.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"