Jul 2, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Sides from Major League Soccer and Liga MX are about to lock horns once more.
With just over a month until the CONCACAF Champions League group stages begin — yes, you heard that right — the schedule for the five MLS sides in CCL action this year have been announced.
And plenty of focus will be on the all-MLS ties between the San Jose Earthquakes and Montreal Impact.
That tie is in fact the opener on August 7, as the Impact host San Jose at Stade Saputo. With the Earthquakes staying put in Canada for an extended period, as they play against Vancouver in MLS action three days later.
Like I said, get excited.
In seasons gone by, MLS fans have often sneered upon CCL matches. For a variety of reasons the continental cup competition hasn’t quite captured the imagination of US and Canadian fans. For the most part. We all remember Real Salt Lake’s fairytale run to the final back in 2010.
But with so many MLS teams involved this year, hopefully that tide of optimism will return. Major League Soccer should definitely focus on success in CCL before thinking about entering competitions such as the Copa Libertadores.
Some people think MLS should jump straight into South America’s premiere club competition. But until MLS conquers the CONCACAF Champions League, those plans should be placed well and truly on the back burner.
So here they are, check out the schedule and plan your CCL trips accordingly.
Sporting Kansas City
- 8/7 at Real Estelí FC; 10 pm ET, Estadio Independcia, Estelí, Nicaragua
- 8/27 at CD Olimpia; 10 pm ET, Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- 9/17 vs. Real Estelí FC; 8 pm ET, Sporting Park
- 10/23 vs. CD Olimpia; 8 pm ET, Sporting Park
- 8/20 at W Connection; 8 pm ET, in Trinidad and Tobago
- 8/27 vs. Árabe Unido; 8 pm ET, BBVA Compass Stadium
- 9/25 vs. W Connection; 8 pm ET, BBVA Compass Stadium
- 10/24 at Árabe Unido; 8 pm ET, in Panama
- 8/7 vs. San Jose Earthquakes; 8 pm ET, Stade Saputo
- 8/21 at CD Heredia; 10 pm ET, in Guatemala
- 9/17 at San Jose Earthquakes; 10 pm ET, Buck Shaw Stadium
- 9/25 vs. CD Heredia; 8 pm ET, Stade Saputo
San Jose Earthquakes
- 8/7 at Montreal Impact; 8 pm ET, Stade Saputo
- 8/28 at CD Heredia; 10 pm ET, in Guatemala
- 9/17 vs. Montreal Impact; 10 pm ET, Buck Shaw Stadium
- 10/23 vs. CD Heredia; 10 pm ET, Buck Shaw Stadium
- 8/20 vs. Cartaginés; 10 pm ET, StubHub Center
- 9/18 vs. Isidro Metapán; 10 pm ET, StubHub Center
- 9/25 at Cartaginés; 10 pm ET, in Costa Rica
- 10/24 at Isidro Metapán; 10 pm ET, in El Salvador
Dec 13, 2013, 4:56 PM EST
His second trade in four months, the veteran midfielder is on his way back to Texas…for the other side. In the other direction goes a proven goalscorer coming off a season of struggle.
Dec 13, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
A move in the works for a few days is completed, but it’s just the first step in Toronto FC’s offseason master plan.
Dec 13, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
The Chelsea manager was amused at the links of Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney to London in January.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:55 PM EST
Can Arsenal break through City’s splendid home form?
Dec 13, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The Dynamo will honor Brian Ching with several unique on-field features.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
Mullins, Tshuma lead Maryland into a surprising Friday final four in Philadelphia.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Where to watch all the action ahead in a blockbuster weekend of PL match ups:
Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
History says there are goals a-comin’ in Saturday’s match-up at St. James Park
Dec 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
“Average” play of midfielder more troubling during subpar start for Red Devils.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Sure there’s science behind the Brazuca, but what good is that without video of the ball shattering dinner plates and other housewares?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
David Moyes reveals RVP will face yet another spell on the sidelines after aggravating a thigh injury:
Dec 13, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Gunners aim to go eight-points clear by winning at the Etihad, Wenger plays it cool:
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy