Jul 2, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Sides from Major League Soccer and Liga MX are about to lock horns once more.
With just over a month until the CONCACAF Champions League group stages begin — yes, you heard that right — the schedule for the five MLS sides in CCL action this year have been announced.
And plenty of focus will be on the all-MLS ties between the San Jose Earthquakes and Montreal Impact.
That tie is in fact the opener on August 7, as the Impact host San Jose at Stade Saputo. With the Earthquakes staying put in Canada for an extended period, as they play against Vancouver in MLS action three days later.
Like I said, get excited.
In seasons gone by, MLS fans have often sneered upon CCL matches. For a variety of reasons the continental cup competition hasn’t quite captured the imagination of US and Canadian fans. For the most part. We all remember Real Salt Lake’s fairytale run to the final back in 2010.
But with so many MLS teams involved this year, hopefully that tide of optimism will return. Major League Soccer should definitely focus on success in CCL before thinking about entering competitions such as the Copa Libertadores.
Some people think MLS should jump straight into South America’s premiere club competition. But until MLS conquers the CONCACAF Champions League, those plans should be placed well and truly on the back burner.
So here they are, check out the schedule and plan your CCL trips accordingly.
Sporting Kansas City
- 8/7 at Real Estelí FC; 10 pm ET, Estadio Independcia, Estelí, Nicaragua
- 8/27 at CD Olimpia; 10 pm ET, Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- 9/17 vs. Real Estelí FC; 8 pm ET, Sporting Park
- 10/23 vs. CD Olimpia; 8 pm ET, Sporting Park
- 8/20 at W Connection; 8 pm ET, in Trinidad and Tobago
- 8/27 vs. Árabe Unido; 8 pm ET, BBVA Compass Stadium
- 9/25 vs. W Connection; 8 pm ET, BBVA Compass Stadium
- 10/24 at Árabe Unido; 8 pm ET, in Panama
- 8/7 vs. San Jose Earthquakes; 8 pm ET, Stade Saputo
- 8/21 at CD Heredia; 10 pm ET, in Guatemala
- 9/17 at San Jose Earthquakes; 10 pm ET, Buck Shaw Stadium
- 9/25 vs. CD Heredia; 8 pm ET, Stade Saputo
San Jose Earthquakes
- 8/7 at Montreal Impact; 8 pm ET, Stade Saputo
- 8/28 at CD Heredia; 10 pm ET, in Guatemala
- 9/17 vs. Montreal Impact; 10 pm ET, Buck Shaw Stadium
- 10/23 vs. CD Heredia; 10 pm ET, Buck Shaw Stadium
- 8/20 vs. Cartaginés; 10 pm ET, StubHub Center
- 9/18 vs. Isidro Metapán; 10 pm ET, StubHub Center
- 9/25 at Cartaginés; 10 pm ET, in Costa Rica
- 10/24 at Isidro Metapán; 10 pm ET, in El Salvador
Sep 30, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Fulham owner Shahid Khan is taking his time to make sure he gets things right this time around.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Some called for his Manchester United captaincy over his lack of discipline, but two words: Roy Keane.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Which player ensured it would be back-to-back honors for a single team in the Premier League’s player of the week battle?
Sep 30, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
The result of the weekend, however, was L.A.’s 4-0 defeat of the New York Red Bulls, and several players deserved Man of the Match honors.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Maybe, just maybe, Newcastle will win against Swansea City this week and take another step toward getting well.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:52 AM EDT
FC Santa Claus is bringing soccer matches to the good boys and girls of the Ykkonen.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Sepp Blatter confirmed FIFA voted strongly to eliminate third-party ownership in all professional settings, with a transitional period of a few years to be instituted immediately.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
The Men discussed all things Premier League on this week’s episode, including Phil Jagielka, Wayne Rooney, and a Peter Crouch chicken dance.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
With plenty of tournament success, the Mexican youth is turning the head of the senior team’s manager.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Things surrounding Newcastle’s managerial position have become increasingly untenable.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
If PSG fail to make serious noise against top Champions League clubs, Laurent Blanc could be on his way out of Paris.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Making $400,000 more than anyone else in the league, Kaka is set to lead Orlando City into MLS with a colossal paycheck.
Sep 29, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
With MLS movement at a high, the controversial Malaysian expressed his wishes to enter the US realm
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
He’s out with a broken tibia, but Giroud still remains vital to Arsenal’s long-term success.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
According to an ESPN report, Chivas will take at least a 2-year break to allow for a rebrand to occur and a new stadium to be built.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Peter Crouch’s early header put Stoke up early as Alan Pardew’s job security took another hit.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
He hasn’t managed to pick out a start for the Red Devils’ senior side, but getting minutes for the U-21’s, he showed off his bright talents.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
After playing over an hour for the U-21 team this weekend, Paul Lambert will have Benteke available for selection against Manchester City.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Gunners lose star midfielder for a month after hamstring injury.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
All eyes on Pardew. Watch Stoke host Newcastle, right here.
- USMNT legend McBride, Jaguars president helping select Fulham manager 0
- Confirmed: Rooney out three Manchester United matches after red card 0
- Premier League player of the week – Round 6 0
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: An L.A. Galaxy guy for sure, but who? 0
- WATCH: Men In Blazers recap derby weekend, visit with Brandon McCarthy 0
- MLS salaries released, showing Kaka nets MLS-record $7.1 million 4