Jul 3, 2013, 3:22 PM EST
What a way to start you career with the reigning European Champions.
Mario Gotze caused a huge amount of bad press for himself, as the German superstar was unveiled at Bayern Munich.
The former Borussia Dortmund attacker certainly didn’t get the memo, as he turned up to the press conference with a “Nike” T-shirt on, and as you can see, it wasn’t a discreet one.
Bayern Munich are not only sponsored by Adidas, but the German sportswear company are also huge shareholders in the club. Needless to say, they weren’t happy.
“These pictures have surprised us negatively,” Adidas spokesperson Oliver Bruggen said. “That’s a breach of contract, because that was an official appointment by Adidas partner FC Bayern.”
But the 21-year-old stud surely had no other motive than just wearing the shirt when he got up in the morning. Or did he?
Gotze’s agent has since said that Nike asked him to wear the shirt during his unveiling. However Nike have denied that claim and quite a bit of embarrassment has followed as Gotze walked away from the unveiling with proverbial egg on his face.
That being said, it was still a big day for the German international, despite his wardrobe malfunction.
Munich were delighted to get one of the hottest young talents in European soccer, after snatching Gotze away from Dortmund prior to their Champions League showdown last season. Gotze’s release clause of $55 million was met by Munich and Gotze revealed he has already had some encouraging words from manager Pep Guardiola.
“The first contact with Guardiola was something really special,” Gotze said. “He mainly asked how I feel and explained a bit of his philosophy to me. I want to achieve a lot with the team and play great football here.”
I’m sure your career at Munich will be great Mario. Well, as long as you wear Adidas…
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record