Jul 3, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
When Andrés Romero scored 22 seconds into tonight’s game in Toronto, the TFC jokes were flying, people quick with their calculators instantly figuring out Ryan Nelsen’s team was on pace to lose something like 234-0. Then, for once, Toronto flipped the script.
Jeremy Brockie equalized in the sixth minute before the back line took over. Steven Caldwell had TFC up in the 21st. Darren O’Dea gave the Reds a two-goal lead on 24 minutes. Toronto had only scored 14 goals through 12 games before kickoff, but after O’Dea’s first of the year, they were on pace to score seven times on Wednesday. Take that, mathletes!
Toronto carried that lead well into the second half. But then TFC happened. Houssan Camara scored in the 69th, and one minute, later Marco Di Vaio finished the job, his 11th goal of the year costing Toronto two points.
For the sellout crowd at BMO, the result may have been a disappointment, but seeing their team explode for three quick goals is a significant silver lining (not that they can always count on goals from Caldwell and O’Dea). For Montréal, however, they’ve now allowed seven goals in five days to teams who are unlikely to make the playoffs. Though they stay atop the East, only two teams in the conference have worse defensive records: Philadelphia and D.C. United.
That controlling Montréal team that we saw sprint to the top of the East in March? They’re gone, apparently. What remains is a potentially more exciting by also more flawed Impact.
And that leaves the East wide open.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Former Inter star sends Juve down to the Europa League with help from Didier Drogba.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? Check out how the sides stack up after a double dose of action last week:
Dec 11, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Any takers on these three countries as potential upset-springers in Brazil?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
Could Newcastle set a standard in offering exclusive access to paying media members?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:31 AM EST
Has Wayne Rooney rejected contract talks with Manchester United? Can a suitor pry Vincent Kompany from City? All this and more in Wednesday’s transfer rumor roundup.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:41 AM EST
Man City boss Manuel Pellegrini and goal scorer James Milner apparently in dark over UEFA Champions League tiebreaking rules.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EST
Relax – the LA Galaxy and U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer isn’t going anywhere:
Dec 10, 2013, 10:31 PM EST
So the New York Red Bulls’ top organizational man says wants Henry to consider another year after 2014, eh?
Dec 10, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Chelsea, Arsenal, and Barcelona look to close out their groups, while a qualified Atlético Madrid look to play spoilers in theirs.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
As long expected, the high successful Real Salt Lake leader will guide Major League Soccer’s 20th franchise:
Dec 10, 2013, 8:41 PM EST
There aren’t many Champions League goal scorers among U.S. internationals, past or present:
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"