Is U.S. international Jozy Altidore a $15 million man?

Jul 3, 2013, 6:20 PM EST

Altidore-racism-interview

Whatever profit AZ makes on Jozy Altidore will be pure, golden gravy for the small Dutch club. Remember, they got him for the cheapest of cheap from Villarreal: free.

Still, it stands to reason that AZ would like to maximize profit for the in-form striker, who struck 31 times last year and recently scored in four straight matches for the United States.

I asked AZ technical director Earnie Stewart recently for some idea of what they would like to get for Altidore, who went to Spain for the whopper sum of $10 million in 2008. He politely declined, of course, citing club policy (not to mention general common sense … but I’m a journalist, so it’s my job to ask.)

Sourcing in England can be a bit loose, and is frequently more of a “guideline” than a “rule,” so take this for what you will. But a report today out of Sunderland suggests the asking price might be around $15 million, which sounds a tad high. Then again, we’re early in the process, so it’s still a seller’s market.

This report from the Northern Echo says Sunderland’s offer (we talked about it yesterday) for $7.6 million was rejected.  Further, it says sources out of Holland have quoted AZ’s asking price at £10m, or right at about $15 million.

By comparison, Clint Dempsey’s final price last year for Spurs was just north of $9 million. That was an 11th hour deal, however, and Dempsey’s hardline stance on returning to Craven Cottage had subtracted all leverage from the sellers, Fulham FC.

1. talgrath - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM

31 goals is an impessive sum, but I doubt he’s worth ~$15 million, my guess is they’ll settle right around $10 million.

2. jplfulham - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Watch Martin Jol, after the Sakary deal, is complete, swoop in and take Altidore to Fulham. Jol likes players from the Dutch League and Fulham has a history of acquiring Americans back to Eddie Lewis. They do not have an American on the roster and he would be a perfect partner for Berbatov. What a partner for him to learn from.

• mvktr2 - Jul 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I hadn’t thought of that, he and Berbatov would pair quite well.

I wish he’d move to Ajax/PSV if he’s going to move before WC14 just so he remains in a similar environ. Also the dutch league is a top class teaching league and another year would serve him well.

3. bellerophon30 - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

How much is $10-15 million in the grand scheme of the AZ budget? That’s what I’m curious about. You have to wonder if they should just keep him, every team needs talented players on decent contracts to keep themselves in the top division.

But like Steve says, whatever they get is pure profit, and Jozy has more than earned whatever wages they’ve paid him.

4. korules - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:31 AM

$10-15 is a lot for AZ.
    It’ll be a lot closer to 10 than 15 imo… considering what Maher went for.
    (Maher is a FAR better player than Altidore)

Both AZ and ajax have a gift for having clubs over-pay for their players though, I wish my team had the same skill :p.

• schmutzdeck - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

It would help if everybody used the same currency figures.

15 million dollars = 11.6 million Euros = 9.9 million Pounds.

Clint Dempsey was sold for a bargain rate of 6 million Pounds at the end of the transfer window when Fulham had little leverage. Jozy is less proven but is much younger than Deuce. So, given that, 9.9 million Pounds is a pretty reasonable starting point for negotiations.

By comparison the so called asking price for Nani is 17.5 million Pounds, 12.5 million Pounds for Danny Wellbeck, and 19. 5 million Pounds for Chicharito.

I assume being Man U players they are regarded as more proven. I don’t see AZ as having to sell Jozy, nor do I see a move now as being necessarily in Jozy’s best interests. Earnie Stewart is in a good place.

If Jozy does well in the World Cup, he could easily double his current value.

Week 17: PL Saturday recap