Jul 3, 2013, 6:20 PM EST
Whatever profit AZ makes on Jozy Altidore will be pure, golden gravy for the small Dutch club. Remember, they got him for the cheapest of cheap from Villarreal: free.
Still, it stands to reason that AZ would like to maximize profit for the in-form striker, who struck 31 times last year and recently scored in four straight matches for the United States.
I asked AZ technical director Earnie Stewart recently for some idea of what they would like to get for Altidore, who went to Spain for the whopper sum of $10 million in 2008. He politely declined, of course, citing club policy (not to mention general common sense … but I’m a journalist, so it’s my job to ask.)
Sourcing in England can be a bit loose, and is frequently more of a “guideline” than a “rule,” so take this for what you will. But a report today out of Sunderland suggests the asking price might be around $15 million, which sounds a tad high. Then again, we’re early in the process, so it’s still a seller’s market.
This report from the Northern Echo says Sunderland’s offer (we talked about it yesterday) for $7.6 million was rejected. Further, it says sources out of Holland have quoted AZ’s asking price at £10m, or right at about $15 million.
By comparison, Clint Dempsey’s final price last year for Spurs was just north of $9 million. That was an 11th hour deal, however, and Dempsey’s hardline stance on returning to Craven Cottage had subtracted all leverage from the sellers, Fulham FC.
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint