Jul 3, 2013, 6:20 PM EST
Whatever profit AZ makes on Jozy Altidore will be pure, golden gravy for the small Dutch club. Remember, they got him for the cheapest of cheap from Villarreal: free.
Still, it stands to reason that AZ would like to maximize profit for the in-form striker, who struck 31 times last year and recently scored in four straight matches for the United States.
I asked AZ technical director Earnie Stewart recently for some idea of what they would like to get for Altidore, who went to Spain for the whopper sum of $10 million in 2008. He politely declined, of course, citing club policy (not to mention general common sense … but I’m a journalist, so it’s my job to ask.)
Sourcing in England can be a bit loose, and is frequently more of a “guideline” than a “rule,” so take this for what you will. But a report today out of Sunderland suggests the asking price might be around $15 million, which sounds a tad high. Then again, we’re early in the process, so it’s still a seller’s market.
This report from the Northern Echo says Sunderland’s offer (we talked about it yesterday) for $7.6 million was rejected. Further, it says sources out of Holland have quoted AZ’s asking price at £10m, or right at about $15 million.
By comparison, Clint Dempsey’s final price last year for Spurs was just north of $9 million. That was an 11th hour deal, however, and Dempsey’s hardline stance on returning to Craven Cottage had subtracted all leverage from the sellers, Fulham FC.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 20
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)