Jul 4, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
Clothing giants Adidas have given many massive contributions to the sport of soccer. They continue to redefine technology when it comes to both wear and equipment for the sport.
But there is one ugly trend spreading across the sport thanks to the clothing company.
With Fulham’s new home kit released Thursday morning, Adidas have continued to expand a terrible practice this summer that threatens to ruin kit individuality across European soccer.
Fulham’s kit is modeled on a generic and relatively bland template Adidas have created and used for a number of other clubs this summer, including Southampton as well as German club Schalke and Spanish side Celta de Vigo.
Adidas has a large number of English clubs on their kit roster, but have created very few actually unique kits.
A few examples:
- Swansea City released both their home and away kits last weekend. Their away kit actually looks quite nice, with a fancy juxtaposition of purple and yellow. Whoops! Too bad it’s exactly the same as Swindon Town’s, except different colors.
- And guess what? Swansea’s home kit is exactly the same as Bristol City’s home kit!
- Sunderland recently released their new away kit…looks like you guys are catching onto my trend here, it’s exactly the same as the home kit for Bolton AND the away kit for Hull City!
- West Bromwich Albion gave us a look at their new away kit a few weeks ago. Oh no! It’s exactly the same as Hull City’s home kit.
- West Ham’s is unique in the English Premier League, but it matches that of Spain’s Osasuna.
I could go on, but I’ll spare you the rest of this.
Sure, Adidas can’t create individually unique kits for everyone they sponsor, that’d be impossible. They have 182 kit sponsorships in Europe alone. While it’s only natural to copy kits for a number of lower division clubs, the fact that Premier League and other countries’ top division clubs are sucked into this phenomenon is a horrible precedent.
Fulham shouldn’t be running around with the same kit design as Southampton. Newly-promoted Hull City shouldn’t be subjected to having the same kit as a duo of lower-division teams.
Adidas is setting a terrible precedent this summer, and if they expand upon it in coming years or other companies catch on and decide it’s a good idea, everyone loses. It’s just plain lazy, and dilutes the fun, excitement, and individuality expressed by each club to their fans. Kits are supposed to be rooted in the history of each club that wears them.
Don’t forget, Adidas designs and manufactures the kits for every team in Major League Soccer. Want this to spread to the United States? I sure hope not. They do have all year to design them.
Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland see Mexican U-19 player attempt to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl
Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”
Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
Toure: “My decision is that I will stay at Manchester City for as long as possible.”
Jul 30, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
After losing the PL title late in the season, then England being knocked out of the World Cup, can Gerrard bounce back?
Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
“I can only say that I’m very happy at City and at the moment we are talking about a contract,” Dzeko said.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
The 3,600 meters of elevation will provide a stiff challenge, with many opposing clubs having fallen victim to the altitude.
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 0
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 2
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 2
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1