Jul 4, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
Clothing giants Adidas have given many massive contributions to the sport of soccer. They continue to redefine technology when it comes to both wear and equipment for the sport.
But there is one ugly trend spreading across the sport thanks to the clothing company.
With Fulham’s new home kit released Thursday morning, Adidas have continued to expand a terrible practice this summer that threatens to ruin kit individuality across European soccer.
Fulham’s kit is modeled on a generic and relatively bland template Adidas have created and used for a number of other clubs this summer, including Southampton as well as German club Schalke and Spanish side Celta de Vigo.
Adidas has a large number of English clubs on their kit roster, but have created very few actually unique kits.
A few examples:
- Swansea City released both their home and away kits last weekend. Their away kit actually looks quite nice, with a fancy juxtaposition of purple and yellow. Whoops! Too bad it’s exactly the same as Swindon Town’s, except different colors.
- And guess what? Swansea’s home kit is exactly the same as Bristol City’s home kit!
- Sunderland recently released their new away kit…looks like you guys are catching onto my trend here, it’s exactly the same as the home kit for Bolton AND the away kit for Hull City!
- West Bromwich Albion gave us a look at their new away kit a few weeks ago. Oh no! It’s exactly the same as Hull City’s home kit.
- West Ham’s is unique in the English Premier League, but it matches that of Spain’s Osasuna.
I could go on, but I’ll spare you the rest of this.
Sure, Adidas can’t create individually unique kits for everyone they sponsor, that’d be impossible. They have 182 kit sponsorships in Europe alone. While it’s only natural to copy kits for a number of lower division clubs, the fact that Premier League and other countries’ top division clubs are sucked into this phenomenon is a horrible precedent.
Fulham shouldn’t be running around with the same kit design as Southampton. Newly-promoted Hull City shouldn’t be subjected to having the same kit as a duo of lower-division teams.
Adidas is setting a terrible precedent this summer, and if they expand upon it in coming years or other companies catch on and decide it’s a good idea, everyone loses. It’s just plain lazy, and dilutes the fun, excitement, and individuality expressed by each club to their fans. Kits are supposed to be rooted in the history of each club that wears them.
Don’t forget, Adidas designs and manufactures the kits for every team in Major League Soccer. Want this to spread to the United States? I sure hope not. They do have all year to design them.
Oct 26, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
The Vancouver Whitecaps did themselves well to clinch a late playoff birth, besting the Colorado Rapids, 1-0.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
The Timbers’ postseason aspirations are hanging in the balance, but this 2-0 win over FC Dallas has certainly put them in a nice spot.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Final: New England Revolution 1, Toronto FC 0
Oct 25, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
AS Roma defender Ashley Cole has drawn the interest of MLS teams once again.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Cristiano Ronaldo praises manager Louis van Gaal and is convinced that the 63-year-old will lead Manchester United to its former glory.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Short recap and highlights of Saturday’s Round 9 Premier League matches.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
With three games on the slate, here’s what you can look forward to on Sunday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Final: Montreal Impact 1, D.C. United 1
Oct 25, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
The Chicago Fire are seeking to bolster the strength of their roster, examining the possible signing of ex-Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Jaime O’Hara.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
A sleepy game for over an hour, Seattle and L.A. used the last hour to stage a contest worthy of a trophy-winning event.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Pique speaks of his handball in Barcelona’s 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid: “It was unintentional.”
Oct 25, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
The L.A. Galaxy and Seattle Sounders are scoreless through 45 minutes at CenturyLink in Washington.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Leeds United have fired manager Darko Milanic after only 32 days leading the squad.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Several fun games whet the appetite for a massive top of table Sunday tilt between Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
With six games on Saturday in the PL, here’s what happened.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Wilfried Bony scored both goals for Swans, 2-0, who cruised to the win against the suddenly-struggling Foxes.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Will the Sounders handle the Galaxy and expectations to clinch home-field throughout the playoffs?
Oct 25, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
“Maybe they [Stoke] created two possibilities, not chances and that’s a great team effort,” Koeman said of his Saints.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Despite going behind earlier, Real came roaring back to win the first El Clasico of 2014-15.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Watch and enjoy, then follow the second half live on NBC and online via Live Extra.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3