Jul 4, 2013, 11:09 PM EDT
Nani’s agent Jorge Mendes has opened the door for Nani to leave Manchester United this summer, singling out Roma as a possible destination.
Speaking to Italian radio station Radio Mana Mana, Mendes said, “He’s a good football player and the whole world knows it. Will he go to Roma? Why not? Serie A is one of the best leagues in the world and Rome is a beautiful city.”
“We constantly talk about the possibility of a transfer, but in the end, he always seems to stay at Manchester United. There is the possibility that he will leave. At the moment, nothing is concrete, the waters are calm. It depends on which players interest Manchester United.”
There have been rumblings that Nani is on his way out of Old Trafford for a little while now, but he’s already ruled out a return home to Portugal, saying his skill level is too good for the clubs there.
With just a year left on the 26-year-old winger’s contract, those rumors have often pointed to a smattering of clubs in Italy, with Juventus Napoli, and Roma topping that list.
Any movement on this transfer will probably take a while, with Nani waiting to see who United bring in and if they send young winger Wilfried Zaha out on loan.
Nani signed with Manchester United in 2007 following a £17 million ($25.6 million) move from Sporting Lisbon. He’s made 216 appearances across all competitions for the Red Devils, scoring 39 goals and assisting 73 others. Last season, however, he made just 11 Premier League appearances and scored just one goal with three assists.
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 0
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 1
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 3
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 11
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1