Jul 4, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
With rumors swirling of a possible move to Sunderland, Jozy Altidore wasn’t giving out any hints as to his final whereabouts come the end of August.
He remained mum on the possible move, saying that he would be very happy to stay in the Netherlands with AZ Alkmaar, but that he would consider the options if an opening elsewhere presented itself.
“It would not be a problem for me to stay at Alkmaar because I am having a good time here and I have had two good seasons” said the 23-year-old to Dutch media.
“I have not had any problems with my team-mates and I feel fine here. But when you get the possibility to play somewhere else, you always have to think about it. In general, you might be happy in your job and you don’t think about leaving it. But if you have the opportunity to work somewhere else, you will think about it.”
It’s a smart move from Jozy, as things can change in a heartbeat and to reveal too much in the media can be dangerous. He also may flat out just not know a lot on the situation.
He also made other smart comments, discussing how money is a non-factor in any potential move. He knows if he finds the right place to advance his career to his best possible potential, the money will follow eventually.
“What still counts for me is not the money, Altidore said. “I have to know the feeling at a club suits me and I can develop myself as a football player.”
Sunderland have led the charge since day one of the rumblings centered around the striker began, and it could be completed soon with the first day of training fast approaching.
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 1
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 2
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0