Jul 4, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Rumors of Marc-Andre ter Stegen making his way to Barcelona have irked both him and his club.
Borussia Moenchengladbach’s young and promising goalkeeper will remain in Germany for the forseeable future, despite many speculating he would be dubbed the successor to Victor Valdes.
Ter Stegen told German paper Bild “It is amusing, to hear about what I have supposedly signed, because apparently know a lot more than I do about my future. The fact is: I’m here. I look forward to the upcoming season with Borussia, as we have some great new additions. I’m really curious what is emerging here.”
This comes a little over a week after the Moenchengladbach sporting director Max Eberl telling Kicker, “Neither the player nor his advisers nor Borussia Moenchengladbach know of an offer having been made” and eventually admitting the speculation about his keeper was “getting on my nerves.”
However, both ter Stegen and his personnel boss admitted they do not know what the future holds, as any player of his level will be cause for rumors and interest worldwide.
“However you never know what’s in the coming seasons, anything can happen” ter Stegen told Bild. Eberl also said in his Kicker interview, “ter Stegen is one of the most talented goalkeepers on the continent, so of course big clubs are interested in signing him.”
The 21-year-old was reported to be the subject of a bid from Barcelona by the Catalan media outfit Mundo Deportivo. The Spanish paper has long been reporting Barcelona’s interest in ter Stegen as the possible successor to aging keeper Victor Valdes.
Ter Stegen’s contract lasts until June of 2015.
The German international was in goal for the USA’s 4-3 win over Germany, allowing a ridiculous own-goal that helped the U.S. hold off a late charge from the European power.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0