Jul 4, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Rumors of Marc-Andre ter Stegen making his way to Barcelona have irked both him and his club.
Borussia Moenchengladbach’s young and promising goalkeeper will remain in Germany for the forseeable future, despite many speculating he would be dubbed the successor to Victor Valdes.
Ter Stegen told German paper Bild “It is amusing, to hear about what I have supposedly signed, because apparently know a lot more than I do about my future. The fact is: I’m here. I look forward to the upcoming season with Borussia, as we have some great new additions. I’m really curious what is emerging here.”
This comes a little over a week after the Moenchengladbach sporting director Max Eberl telling Kicker, “Neither the player nor his advisers nor Borussia Moenchengladbach know of an offer having been made” and eventually admitting the speculation about his keeper was “getting on my nerves.”
However, both ter Stegen and his personnel boss admitted they do not know what the future holds, as any player of his level will be cause for rumors and interest worldwide.
“However you never know what’s in the coming seasons, anything can happen” ter Stegen told Bild. Eberl also said in his Kicker interview, “ter Stegen is one of the most talented goalkeepers on the continent, so of course big clubs are interested in signing him.”
The 21-year-old was reported to be the subject of a bid from Barcelona by the Catalan media outfit Mundo Deportivo. The Spanish paper has long been reporting Barcelona’s interest in ter Stegen as the possible successor to aging keeper Victor Valdes.
Ter Stegen’s contract lasts until June of 2015.
The German international was in goal for the USA’s 4-3 win over Germany, allowing a ridiculous own-goal that helped the U.S. hold off a late charge from the European power.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
The 35-year-old is taking a step back, making himself unavailable for selection until Sept. 2015.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
LMA statement: “These were two text messages sent in private at a time Malky felt under great pressure and when he was letting off steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter.”
Aug 21, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Exciting attacker arrives at Loftus Road for the 2014-15 season.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Despite being eligible to play for his country, Suarez left off Uruguay’s roster.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Khedira turns down new deal at Real. Will the Spaniards cash in on him now?
Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Former Liverpool star could be heading to United as Real Madrid seek to trim squad.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Spurs boss in dramatic U-turn on Europa League after previously dismissing tournament.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Leiweke to leave MLSE, as leading sports executive calls it quits in Toronto.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
After trailing 3-1, LA came roaring back to win 4-3 as Donovan bagged the winner.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Di Maria wants out of Real, will Manchester United be able to pounce for his signature?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Moody, pictured center, has resigned from his role at Palace following damaging allegations.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Liverpool, AC Milan agree Balotelli transfer as player, agent set to arrive at Anfield.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Monster moves rumored. Check out all the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 0
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 5
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 3