Jul 4, 2013, 9:42 PM EST
The Canadian Soccer Association has scheduled a press conference for Friday for a “major announcement.”
Marca first reported Thursday that the Canadians will be announcing former Real Madrid coach Benito Floro as their new head coach, and many have since backed up that report.
The 61-year-old Spaniard has a long list of teams he’s guided since beginning his managerial career in 1978, including Real Madrid from 1992-1994 where he won the Copa del Rey. His last gig was at the helm of Moroccan side Wydad Casablanca until last year.
Between 2004 and 2009, Floro took time off from managing, serving as Real Madrid technical director briefly in 2005 as well as commentating for Spanish channel Telecinco.
With Canada’s Gold Cup schedule set to get under way Sunday against Martinique, FC Edmonton head coach Colin Miller has at least so far been given the green light to man the battle station through the competition.
Stephen Hart was Canada’s last full-time manager, resigning in October of 2012 following their exit from World Cup qualifying.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014