Jul 4, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Chelsea have confirmed reaching a deal with Vitesse Arnhem for the transfer of midfielder Marco van Ginkel.
Subject to the agreement of personal terms and a medical, the Dutch International will be playing his football at Stamford Bridge come August. The player will reportedly cost Chelsea a transfer fee in the range of £8 million.
The 20 year old, who was voted Dutch young player of the year last season, made his senior debut for the Oranje in last November’s 0-0 friendly clash with Germany.
For his club, van Ginkel scored eight league goals helping the club known as ‘FC Hollywood on the Rhine’ to a fourth place finish in the Eredivisie, their best season for 15 years.
Van Ginkel’s transfer to Chelsea should come as little surprise to Blues supporters, as Jose Mourinho had noted the Dutchman was one of his primary targets coming into the transfer window.
Van Ginkel is deep laying midfielder who is known as a no-nonsense workhorse with exquisite control of the ball, above-average vision and an extensive range of passing. At 6’1″ he also holds a considerable presence although he will need to improve his strength if he is to live up to comparisons with Steven Gerrard and Yaya Toure.
Given Chelsea’s depth in the pivot with the likes of John Obi Mikel, Ramires, Frank Lampard, Michael Essien and now David Liz getting into the action, van Ginkel will be a long-shot to earn a starting spot, let alone a cameo role. A loan deal within the Premier League could do wonders for his development but make no mistake about it, Mourinho believes in van Ginkel.
Expect the Dutchman to eventually be a key cog in The Special One’s wheel in future years.
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 17
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 8
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)