Jul 4, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Chelsea have confirmed reaching a deal with Vitesse Arnhem for the transfer of midfielder Marco van Ginkel.
Subject to the agreement of personal terms and a medical, the Dutch International will be playing his football at Stamford Bridge come August. The player will reportedly cost Chelsea a transfer fee in the range of £8 million.
The 20 year old, who was voted Dutch young player of the year last season, made his senior debut for the Oranje in last November’s 0-0 friendly clash with Germany.
For his club, van Ginkel scored eight league goals helping the club known as ‘FC Hollywood on the Rhine’ to a fourth place finish in the Eredivisie, their best season for 15 years.
Van Ginkel’s transfer to Chelsea should come as little surprise to Blues supporters, as Jose Mourinho had noted the Dutchman was one of his primary targets coming into the transfer window.
Van Ginkel is deep laying midfielder who is known as a no-nonsense workhorse with exquisite control of the ball, above-average vision and an extensive range of passing. At 6’1″ he also holds a considerable presence although he will need to improve his strength if he is to live up to comparisons with Steven Gerrard and Yaya Toure.
Given Chelsea’s depth in the pivot with the likes of John Obi Mikel, Ramires, Frank Lampard, Michael Essien and now David Liz getting into the action, van Ginkel will be a long-shot to earn a starting spot, let alone a cameo role. A loan deal within the Premier League could do wonders for his development but make no mistake about it, Mourinho believes in van Ginkel.
Expect the Dutchman to eventually be a key cog in The Special One’s wheel in future years.
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 1
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"