Jul 4, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
Chelsea have confirmed reaching a deal with Vitesse Arnhem for the transfer of midfielder Marco van Ginkel.
Subject to the agreement of personal terms and a medical, the Dutch International will be playing his football at Stamford Bridge come August. The player will reportedly cost Chelsea a transfer fee in the range of £8 million.
The 20 year old, who was voted Dutch young player of the year last season, made his senior debut for the Oranje in last November’s 0-0 friendly clash with Germany.
For his club, van Ginkel scored eight league goals helping the club known as ‘FC Hollywood on the Rhine’ to a fourth place finish in the Eredivisie, their best season for 15 years.
Van Ginkel’s transfer to Chelsea should come as little surprise to Blues supporters, as Jose Mourinho had noted the Dutchman was one of his primary targets coming into the transfer window.
Van Ginkel is deep laying midfielder who is known as a no-nonsense workhorse with exquisite control of the ball, above-average vision and an extensive range of passing. At 6’1″ he also holds a considerable presence although he will need to improve his strength if he is to live up to comparisons with Steven Gerrard and Yaya Toure.
Given Chelsea’s depth in the pivot with the likes of John Obi Mikel, Ramires, Frank Lampard, Michael Essien and now David Liz getting into the action, van Ginkel will be a long-shot to earn a starting spot, let alone a cameo role. A loan deal within the Premier League could do wonders for his development but make no mistake about it, Mourinho believes in van Ginkel.
Expect the Dutchman to eventually be a key cog in The Special One’s wheel in future years.
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 0
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 9
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 5