Jul 4, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
No wonder Mourinho had troubles with the players during his time at the Bernabeu.
Spanish media outfit AS has published a report saying that last season, while Jose Mourinho was in charge at Real Madrid, Manchester United and AC Milan both submitted bids for Kaka, but they were immediately rejected by Mourinho.
The boss had apparently told the Brazilian legend he would only sanction a move away from Europe, to China or Russia for example.
This enraged Kaka, who would like to make the Brazilian 2014 World Cup squad and therefore wanted to keep his level of play at a high level, something a move out of Europe would most likely not allow.
The 31-year-old barely played at Real Madrid as well, having made just 27 appearances over all competitions last season, and sitting in many of the most important matches.
AS quotes a source close to Kaka as saying, “Mourinho did not want him at the club and wanted to use him as a bargaining chip, but was afraid to send him elsewhere in Europe under a big suspicion that he would succeed. He wanted to sell to Russia or China, but Kaka did not want to go there.” The source also claimed Mourinho “boycotted” Kaka last season on the pitch.
The report also quotes another source that “there was never a fight or argument between Kaka and Mou, but the relationship was not good.” Not surprising.
With Kaka reportedly considering a move to Major League Soccer when his contract with Madrid runs out, he is also apparently ruled out a move home to Brazil, with reports of Sao Paolo or Flamengo in the mix for his signature.
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 0
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 3
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 1
- League Cup Roundup: Balotelli saves Liverpool, Newcastle defeat Manchester City 0
- Report: Spanish legend Raul signs with the New York Cosmos 0