Jul 4, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
West Brom are on the verge of signing Premier League journeyman Nicolas Anelka, who is undergoing a medical ahead of his move to The Hawthorns.
Assuming the medical runs smoothly, the French striker will sign a two year deal at Albion after leaving Shanghai Shenhua this past winter to join Juventus on loan. The move to West Brom will reunite Anelka with manager Steve Clarke, who coached the striker at Chelsea when he arrived in 2008.
West Brom will be the sixth Premier League club for the fickle but talented striker, following stints at Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, Bolton and Chelsea. He will be the first signing for the Baggies this summer.
While it is unlikely the 34 year old will lock down a full time spot in Clarke’s Starting XI, West Brom’s thin striker pool presents an excellent opportunity for Anelka to make an impact.
Anelka will provide West Brom with cover after losing 17 goal Romelu Lukaku, who returns to Stamford Bridge following his 2012-13 loan spell at Albion.
In addition to the loss of Lukaku, West Brom released 32 year old Marc Antoine-Fortune and is desperately trying to pan Peter Odemwingie off on any club willing to cough up a semi-reasonable transfer fee. That leaves 26 year old Shane Long as the lone scoring threat up top, having nabbed 8 league goals last term.
The Baggies have been linked to a few other strikers this summer, with former West Ham man Carlton Cole, Lille’s Salomon Kalou and Wigan’s Arouna Kone and Franco di Santo.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 7
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 7
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)