Jul 4, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
The recent string of impressive results by the United States Men’s National Team has been rewarded by the FIFA world ranking calculator, which shot the Yanks to No. 22, six places higher than last month.
The current ranking has the Americans looking down at a number of international power-houses who have taken some tough losses in the last month.
France dropped five places to No. 23 after suffering a 3-0 loss to Brazil and 1-0 loss to Uruguay, Ghana dropped to (24th) after defeating Lesotho 2-0 but losing 3-1 to Sudan, and Denmark fell seven spots to 27th after getting throttled 4-0 by Armenia and defeating Georgia 2-1.
Despite slipping three spots from last month, Mexico held its edge over the U.S. coming in at No. 20. El Tri’s losses to Brazil and Italy and draws with Costa Rica and Panama were balanced out by wins over Jamaica and Mexico.
Other notable movers were England, who fell six spots to No. 15 following their 2-2 draw with Brazil, Uruguay, who moved up seven spots to No. 12 following key victories over France, Venezuela and Nigeria, and Brazil, whose stellar performance in the Confederations Cup shot them up 11 places to No. 9.
Spain and Germany remained Nos. 1 and 2, respectively, while Colombia grabbed the No. 3 spot after Argentina’s draws with Ecuador and Colombia dropped them down one spot.
The American’s big month began with an entertaining 4-3 victory over a reduced Germany side. One week later, Jurgen Klinsmann’s men continued their winning form, disposing of Jamaica 2-1 in Kingston and Panama 2-0 in Seattle. The Yanks finished the month with a perfect 4-0 record defeating Honduras 1-0 in Salt Lake.
Here are the Top 25 FIFA World Rankings for June 2013:
13. Côte d’Ivoire
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 0
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint