Jul 5, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
With a new contract at Real Madrid still on the offer table unsigned, rumors have been flourishing that Cristiano Ronaldo could be headed back to England to Manchester United where he enjoyed six prolific seasons.
Having last week admitted he missed English soccer – and sending the media into a rumor tizzy in the process – Ronaldo has now moved to dismiss those rumors, stating his intentions are to stay in La Liga as long as possible.
“My future, it’s at Real Madrid and I want to be there.” Ronaldo said, speaking at a gala in Monaco. “I’ve played in Spain for four years so I want to continue there.” Pretty straightforward, that.
The 28-year-old Portugese superstar said it will be no different than any other year in Madrid. “Things are going to be the same. I will try to be focused every time to try to win La Liga and try to win the Champions League like we always do.”
Ronaldo did, however, reaffirm his admiration for Manchester United, the club he rose to great heights with. “It’s a club that’s been in my heart since I was there, so everyone knows I have a passion for that club.”
Of course the rumors won’t end until he puts pen to paper, but it’s seemed all along that Ronaldo’s first choice has been to stay put in Spain.
Newly-appointed Manchester United manager David Moyes, speaking with his new club for the first time, did nothing to quell the rumors of a Ronaldo return. When prompted on the subject, he simply said, “I’ll try to answer as many questions as I can. But when people are under contract at other clubs, it’s wrong to talk about them. But this club are always interested in the best players.”
- James Rodriguez to be unveiled by Real Madrid on Tuesday, join club for U.S. tour 1
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 7
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10