Jul 5, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Borussia Dortmund have unveiled their new home and away kits for the upcoming season, but in a more floral-than-normal unveiling.
The Champions League finalists unveiled a giant-sized kit made of 80,645 flowers to fans in a park outside of Westfalenstadion. The arrangement covered 3,280 square feet.
Kit manufacturers Puma arranged the creative stunt, matching the number of flowers to the capacity of Westfalenstadion.
This isn’t the first time Dortmund have come up with an out-of-the-ordinary marketing campaign. They also poked fun at common German stereotypes to promote the 2013 Champions League final in London.
Dortmund released a series of pictures with a beach lounger and draped towel placed in different locations around London, a jab at the stereotype that Germans like to wake up early to reserve pool spots by draping towels over chairs. They accompanied the pictures with a graphic that read, “You were hoping for a final between two English teams. Or at least a stadium full of hot chics from Spain. But instead you got the Krauts. Have fun.”
The new kit itself is incredibly smart, with a clean and fresh look. Ditching last year’s stripes, the home kit features a light plaid pattern faded behind the yellow background that adds a touch of design to an otherwise plain but crisp-looking kit. It also has a black collar with a yellow triangle that stands out but isn’t loud. The away jersey is black with a handsome yellow stripe across the sleeves. The third kit is white with a grey swatch on the right shoulder.
Both kits feature a playful-looking font on the back that reads “Dortmund.”
Dortmund star Marco Reus expressed his admiration for the kit, saying, “The design and fit of our new jersey are really fantastic. They have fully met my expectations, especially with the new shape of the collar.”
- WATCH: All the goals, highlights from Saturday in the Premier League 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea blow it, Swansea, Spurs and Palace win 0
- VIDEO: Jose Mourinho’s sensational swipe at officials after Chelsea suffer shock defeat 7
- Chelsea 1-2 Sunderland: Blues’ title dreams in ruins, as Black Cats grab shock win (video) 5
- Newcastle United 1-2 Swansea City: Bony’s brace seals crucial win for Swans (video) 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Eagles assure second season in Premier League (video) 1