Jul 6, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
United States goalkeeper Brad Guzan has signaled his intention to stay at Villa Park for the forseeable future.
The 28-year-old put pen to paper on a four-year deal keeping him under Aston Villa control until the summer of 2017.
Arriving in the Premier League in 2008 from Chivas USA, Guzan established himself as the first-choice keeper last year under manager Paul Lambert.
Stuck behind fellow American Brad Friedel when he first arrived, Guzan used a successful loan spell with Hull City in the spring of 2011 to help make his mark.
He remained second-fiddle to Shay Given last season before gazumping the Irishman for the first-team slot, making 39 starts for the Birmingham club last season.
Brad expressed his excitement to the Aston Villa official website, saying, “For me, it’s an honour and a privilege to play for Aston Villa Football Club and to commit my future long-term. I’m overjoyed by it.
“To have this opportunity to commit my future, with the plans and the future being what they are going forward, it’s tremendously exciting and I know that’s not just for me but for everybody, including the fans.”
Lambert gushed about Guzan’s contributions to the club, “Brad has been exceptional for the Club, really fantastic on and off the pitch. He’s always bubbly around the place and a really solid character. He’s a good guy as well which is really important. Overall, he’s a credit to the Club.”
Guzan and Aston Villa begin their 2013/14 season visiting Arsenal at the Emirates.
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Inter Milan (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 3