Jul 6, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
United States goalkeeper Brad Guzan has signaled his intention to stay at Villa Park for the forseeable future.
The 28-year-old put pen to paper on a four-year deal keeping him under Aston Villa control until the summer of 2017.
Arriving in the Premier League in 2008 from Chivas USA, Guzan established himself as the first-choice keeper last year under manager Paul Lambert.
Stuck behind fellow American Brad Friedel when he first arrived, Guzan used a successful loan spell with Hull City in the spring of 2011 to help make his mark.
He remained second-fiddle to Shay Given last season before gazumping the Irishman for the first-team slot, making 39 starts for the Birmingham club last season.
Brad expressed his excitement to the Aston Villa official website, saying, “For me, it’s an honour and a privilege to play for Aston Villa Football Club and to commit my future long-term. I’m overjoyed by it.
“To have this opportunity to commit my future, with the plans and the future being what they are going forward, it’s tremendously exciting and I know that’s not just for me but for everybody, including the fans.”
Lambert gushed about Guzan’s contributions to the club, “Brad has been exceptional for the Club, really fantastic on and off the pitch. He’s always bubbly around the place and a really solid character. He’s a good guy as well which is really important. Overall, he’s a credit to the Club.”
Guzan and Aston Villa begin their 2013/14 season visiting Arsenal at the Emirates.
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 3
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 5
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 11
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 6
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8