Jul 6, 2013, 12:20 PM EST
If we’re being honest, Colorado rookie Deshorn Brown is a long way from Major League Soccer’s rookie scoring record.
But the young Rapids’ striker is certainly drawing close enough to mention it, at least.
During Thursday’s 2-0 win over New York, Brown hit goal number five of his impressive, initial campaign at Dicks Sporting Goods Park. Colorado is 19 games into its set of 34; Brown has played in 17 matches, starting 13 of them.
Thursday’s goal was pretty cinchy stuff, with another impressive young Rapids man, left back Chris Klute, doing most of the work. Still, the pacey attacker had two other good opportunities just after coming on in the second half.
So those five goals puts him slightly behind pace to catch Damani Ralph’s rookie record of 11, set back in 2003 with Chicago. Still, five goals and four assists for the forward from Jamaica (by way of the University of Central Florida) is prodigious stuff for the 22-year-old.
Consider that Darren Mattocks hit seven last year in 21 matches for Vancouver, and we all talked about that guy like he was a Didier Drogba starter kit.
Brown was the Rapids’ first-round pick in January, No. 6 overall.
Here is video from Thursday’s 2-0 win over New York, where Brown gets the Rapids’ second goal:
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014