Jul 6, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
The headlines out of Spain as they regard Mexican starlet Giovani dos Santos are about Atletico Madrid staying in the hunt. That’s according to Mallorca vice-president Llorenzo Serra Ferrer, who told Goal.com that Madrid’s “second side” is one of six or seven teams still looking at the young attacker, who has not quite lived up to potential in Europe but was among the better pieces last year for Mallorca.
Of course, this blog isn’t for primarily for readers in Spain … so let’s take it a different way. Because the piece also says that the Galaxy is still in this deal.
Remember that an earlier report from a Spanish daily said dos Santos had rejected a $2.5 million annual salary and a $10 million transfer price to play for the Galaxy.
The young Mexican star still makes sense in so many ways for the Galaxy – but only at the right price. Clearly, $10 million isn’t the right price for budget-conscious Major League Soccer. But if the right fee can be arranged, a lineup that features dos Santos creating from wide areas, in turn allowing Landon Donovan to play alongside Robbie Keane, does sound tempting.
Plus, the marketing kick cannot be underestimated, landing a Mexican star to sell to Southern California’s significant Latino demographic. It’s a win-win, but only at the right price. And if you believe this report, that’s still being negotiated.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park